digital scale

Mickey Mays

TVWBB Member
Probably in the wrong forum, but am looking for a digital scale. I would appreciate any input. I am setting up a place to do all my smoking. I live in North Dakota so a cold winter is assured. I cannot begin to thank everybody for the sound advice I have received. Hopefully it will help me get the right scale. My wife is getting it for me for Christmas. She knows how much I love "smokin" Thanks

Doug, those are nice scales. I think the 1004 would fit my needs nicely especially for the price. I had been looking at analog "manual type" scales at the restaraunt supply place. Been a while since I was there but it seems like $50 would only get you one that goes to 5#.

Something to go on my xmas list. Thanks.

Had it several years. Works fine. Hope the cat never knocks it off the counter. If the stainless one was available back then, I may have opted for it instead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
And what is the cat doing on the counter?????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Curiously looking for any sausages it can find!
icon_rolleyes.gif

What on earth did you think it would be doing on the counter, pole dancing?
icon_biggrin.gif

These are both jokes, I don't allow cats on my kitchen counter either...Mind you I don't have a cat, but if I did, I would ban it from the counters for life.

I used the word counter to avoid typing out "wood storage cabinet in the kitchen breakfast area".

Cat banning is a futile exercise. The more you try to ban them from something, the more they want to go there. Best you can do is maintain an awareness and disinfect counter tops before use as well as after. We were lucky that, for years, our Exotic Shorthair and Himayalan were in no way interested in jumping up on counters-- too laid back and lazy. Our adopted Katrina refugee is another matter-- best guess is he was born around the time of the storm and survived on his own until showing up on our doorstep New Year's Eve. For that, we cut him some slack.

Does anyone have any experience with a My Weigh i5000 scale?? This one will allow you to switch between english and metric during use, a feature that the bride has requested. (potential Christmas gift).

Vernon, you might want to Google for that scale and see if there are any other reviews - here's one I found:

http://snipurl.com/MyWeighScale

If I were buying a new scale, I'd definitely want the be able to convert from ounces to grams during the weighing process - I use that feature quite often and I think weights in the US are headed in that direction, albeit very slowly. It's just so much easier to work in grams.

I've had an Edlund E-80 scale for at least 10 years or more and I'm very satisfied with it. I leave it on the counter. It gets daily use and I love cooking by weight. I bought it at a restaurant supply for about $100 back then. It will run on batteries and also comes with an electric cord to plug into an outlet (I leave mine plugged in). It will switch from grams to ounces or back easily. The "buttons" do require a firm push; maybe it was engineered that way to avoid accidentally shutting it down mid-weigh. It only weighs up to 80 ounces/5 pounds, and occasionally I wish it would weigh more. I sometimes have to split up ingredients for large batches.

I especially like my scale because it weighs to the nearest 1 gram or to the nearest tenth of an ounce (2.8 g), very handy for baking.

When looking for scales, check the weight increments. Some scales use larger increments as the total allowable weight of the scale increases.

The following Edlund scale weighs up to 10 pounds and still weighs in 1-gram increments, but its pretty pricy. You might find it more reasonably at a restaurant supply or on other websites. Edlund is a good brand. If I had to do it over, since I am now, and you will be, weighing pork butts, etc. for 'Qing, I'd choose this model. I didn't know any better back then.

http://www.scaleworld.com/edlund-e-160.html

A tip: my restaurant supply seems to charge less for a restaurant customer than for a walk-in customer. If you know anyone with a restaurant, perhaps he/she could check prices and order for you through them. Kevin would know more about this.

Rita

P.S. Doug, you posted as I was writing all this. The Salters have a good reputation and are certainly more reasonable!

Back