digital probe thermo -- incorrect readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Provost

TVWBB Fan
/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif O.K. This isn't a WSM question, but thought you might have some thoughts on this subject.

I was cooking some boneless chicken breast on my Weber Kettle. Being the anal person I am, I check everything with my thermo. The chicken took way too long to come up to temp (165). When I cut into it, it was over cooked and dry.

I then tested the thermo by placing it in a glass of ice water (it registered 33) then into boiling water (it registered 211).

What went wrong? Is is possible for the thermo to be correcct on high and low ends of the scale and so far off in the middle? Before you ask--

Yes I probed the meat in different spots and no, I was sober.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rob

At 165? I consider chicken breast overdone try pulling it off earlier and see how you feel.
I don't think thermo is the problem.
Jim

What temp were you cooking at? Low temp (225-250) plus lean meat equals long cook time and dried out result. Better to shoot for 350.

That would be the WSM answer, but could apply to the kettle, too.

I agree with Jim M (as I am sure most of us usually do) that taking the chicken off at 165 is too high. Try pulling it at 158-160, the residual heat will bring it up a few degrees if you cover it with foil.

Did you brine the chicken before cooking it? I find that most chicken is too dry and bland by itself, so I always brine it. See Chris' section on brining to get all the info. Good luck.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back