DigiQ II ordered!

AaronH

TVWBB Member
New WSM user here. Got it got for Xmas and love it!! Did a smoke few weeks ago and it came out AMAZING. Friends and family couldn't believe it was my first smoke and try at ribs and pulled pork! Thank you forum
icon_wink.gif

Today I bit the bullet and purchased the DigiQ II.

After much debate over Stoker vs Guru vs whatever I looked at what was really important for me and made my choice.

I am a techie geek at heart (and use to be a Network Engineer, CCNA, CCDA, MCSE) so most of the people I talked to are surprised that I went the non-network route. First off smokin' is a get away for me. Time to unplug and enjoy the day/night, get away from the computer, laptop, iPhone and Blackberry. Second I really only needed something to regulate the pit temps. Even the single food probe isnt a problem for me because I have so many other digital food probes around etc. Also I'm a smoker (cigs) and I don't smoke in my house, so I'm often out there many times a day checking temps anyway when I go out to smoke (no pun intended). Basically from my point of view I wanted something simple, easy, small and no wires!! Hahaha after all these years I'm done with routers, port forwarding, logs, cables, ip addresses hahaha.

The one thing I think I will miss is the StokerLog. I think that is a great feature.

Anyway, I'm sure many of you have gone though this in your heads and made the hard choice of what to get. From what I read you can't go wrong with either one. But my god what a hard choice that has been. Really been reading/researching since I got it Christmas.

Aaron you made a good choice. I have had the DigiQ II for two years and I absolutely love it.
It does what they say it will do without any problems.

@Gary - I have been running my DigiQ II and find I have a lot of coals left un-burned after use. Do you find that?

@Aaron - Where do you get your smoke wood near boston? I am looking for some near plymouth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been running my DigiQ II and find I have a lot of coals left un-burned after use. Do you find that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With an ATC you don't use water. Using no water reduces fuel consumption.

Also, the fan controls the fire by blowing air (of course you knew that). Because the fan is pointed in a particular direction, this will be the area the coals burn first.

If you have a 10CFM fan, engaging the damper will lessen the currents in the smoker. I have a 10CFM and once the WSM is up to temperature I close it 2/3.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AaronH:
First off smokin' is a get away for me. Time to unplug and enjoy the day/night, get away from the computer, laptop, iPhone and Blackberry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of all the reasons I have heard during the stoker/guru debate, this is by far the most reasonable. Well done and enjoy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james brosche:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AaronH:
First off smokin' is a get away for me. Time to unplug and enjoy the day/night, get away from the computer, laptop, iPhone and Blackberry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of all the reasons I have heard during the stoker/guru debate, this is by far the most reasonable. Well done and enjoy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For what you want to do you have selected a great controller. It will be very helpful I those long cooks and for even temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james brosche:

Of all the reasons I have heard during the stoker/guru debate, this is by far the most reasonable. Well done and enjoy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was a good post. Personally speaking though, all of my long smokes are done overnight (start at 10:00pm, to eat dinner the next day). In that sense, i can't think of a more stressful thing than having the fire die in the middle of the night and me not hearing the buzzer on the unit outside (or worse yet, waking up the neighbor).

With a PC, you can put the laptop next to your bed and go to sleep peacefully unless you hear its chime saying something has happened to your fire.

Having lost three pork butts once to fire going out and dealing with the looks I got from the family, I can tell you I never want to be in that boat again
icon_smile.gif

Then it is the matter of using the box in winter with snow and such, and comfortably watching what is going on with it and changing setting using the laptop as I do other things on it.

Technology when put to good use, does have benefits....

"And one more thing..."
icon_smile.gif

Nothing forces you to use a PC with stoker. Indeed, a number of times for short cooks I have used it stand-alone. The device simply gives you the option to use a PC, phone, etc. It doesn't rely on it for its operation in any way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:

It was a good post. Personally speaking though, all of my long smokes are done overnight (start at 10:00pm, to eat dinner the next day). In that sense, i can't think of a more stressful thing than having the fire die in the middle of the night and me not hearing the buzzer on the unit outside (or worse yet, waking up the neighbor).

With a PC, you can put the laptop next to your bed and go to sleep peacefully unless you hear its chime saying something has happened to your fire.

Having lost three pork butts once to fire going out and dealing with the looks I got from the family, I can tell you I never want to be in that boat again
icon_smile.gif

Then it is the matter of using the box in winter with snow and such, and comfortably watching what is going on with it and changing setting using the laptop as I do other things on it.

Technology when put to good use, does have benefits.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great point. Having an alarm right next to you is a good thing no doubt. I enjoy waking up throughout the night and checking though. Maybe because I'm still a noob at this smoking thing and all. Maybe once I get tired of waking up and checking on it and kind of doing the hands on thing I'll be rethinking my decision. For now I couldn't be happier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
"And one more thing..."
icon_smile.gif

Nothing forces you to use a PC with stoker. Indeed, a number of times for short cooks I have used it stand-alone. The device simply gives you the option to use a PC, phone, etc. It doesn't rely on it for its operation in any way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I was thinking that as well, but if that isn't an option I wasn't going to use I realy just wanted something to enter pit temp, food temp and walk away. The DigiQ is only 2 buttons and even if you never touched one before you can figure it out in 2 mins.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">@Aaron - Where do you get your smoke wood near boston? I am looking for some near plymouth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey we are just about neighbors!! I grew up in Somerville but now in your neck of the woods. I'm in Duxbury.

I have no idea but if you find out let me know. My stepdad got in to smoking a few years ago and had some leftover wood that I took off his hands. I'll be out after this weekend though so if you find some please let me know! There are a few posts around the forum (think I posted one actually) that asks this and I think someone replied with a place to order some online. I think that's where I'll get most of mine. I think it's easier unless you know what trees are in your yard and you want me to come help you chop em down (my fee will just be some of the wood hahaha)

Back