DigiQ Help

Todd Brazil

TVWBB Member
What size hole should I drill into my 2008 18" WSM to mount the BBQ Guru adapter permanently? I have a DigiQ DX2 w/ 10cm Pit Viper fan. Should the hole be the same diameter as the vent holes or larger? Pictures of permanent mounts would also be GREATLY appreciated. I noticed YankeeRob had a previous post w/ pics but they are no longer on the board for some reason.

The directions that came with my DigiQ DX II said to drill a 1" hole. The holes on my 22.5 were 3/4". I split the difference and drilled a 7/8" hole. Part of what made my decision is that I would have had to start with the small unibit and switch to the big bit to get 1". I was too lazy to switch bits. The 7/8" has been fine for me. There are some pictures of my install at the bottom of this post.

Thanks Daris. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'll drill a 7/8" hole tonight w/ my Unibit and get this off of my to do list.

Todd, look closely at the adapter. The hole in the unit is very small, and works very, very, well if installed through a single hole in one of the existing dampers. The kit should have included some pieces of foil tape to close off the three other holes in the damper. No holes needed to drill, no chance to chip the finish, or provide a spot for rust to get started. The fan is forced air, so the vent hole works just fine. I have used this configuration for quite a while now, and on both long and short cooks with zero problems, including closing the holes down to extinguish the fire.

Hi Todd when I drilled mine I did a 3/4" whole. I went based on the size of the existing damper holes.

I had been using the existing damper hole method/tape for several years. I don't use the ATM all the time so didn't particularly care to have that vent restricted/not usable if the mount wasn't removed. You do have the single whole in the mount when left attached, but still wanted full use of the vent when not using the ATC.

I definitely like the convenience of the separate mount point. Just leave the silicone cap on when not in use.

I think any hole from 3/4 thru 1 inch will work just fine. I drilled in parallel, same level as the other vent holes. I know others haven't bothered and were fine, but I taped and drilled a pilot whole first before running the unibit through. That step only takes a couple minutes.

Back