DigiQ DX on the way

Rob F

TVWBB Member
I just ordered my DigiQ DX yesterday. Was hoping for delivery by Friday so I could cook this weekend with it, but apparently UPS Ground doesn't get here in 3 days any more. Will see how it goes. Better go well or I'll be sleeping on the couch after dropping that kind of cash on a toy.

Hoping that with this I'll be able to do the long 14-18hr cooks for briskets and shoulders. Haven't been brave enough for a brisket yet, and shoulders I've only done with 4-8hrs on, then wrapped them and threw them in the oven.

I'm sure I'll keep my maverick hooked up too, just in case and so I can know the temps without bothering to go out back or look through the window.

Will try to pop back in with how it goes.

On a side note, has anyone used their ATCs for curing meats? Been thinking about smoke curing a side of bacon or possibly cold smoking some cheese.

I've done some bacon and some jerky -- great results both times... just start with (way) fewer coals, and let the ATC (Stoker in my case) do the rest.

Rob,
Just a note from my install. Take a look at the diffuser when you install it and make sure the diffuser seat and the outside mount are sealing properly. The diffuser can have a little leakage on the inside but the outside mount should seal tight to the vent all the way around it. If you do not have a good seal, remove the diffuser and make sure it is at a 90 degree angle in relation to the screw going through it. I needed to bend the diffuser a little to get a good seal and now it fits real good without having to use tape to seal around the diffuser or outside mount.

Rob,
Congratulations! I got mine about 2 weeks ago. There is a good you tube video on installation on Weber. There is also a second video on operation. This is much clear than the instructions on Guru's website. However, BE SURE to read the extended comments in the video description about how to get a more precise fit. The guy doesn't do in right in the video but explains it in the comments section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bwOUjFgLyE

Thanks, Dale & Gary. I actually saw exactly what you're talking about in the same youtube vid last week. I recall the follow-up advising proper installation from the comments.

I think I'm going to do the permanent install and avoid the vent taping altogether. Borrowed my dad's high speed drill and step bit for the job so should go okay. Also planning on attaching handles and putting in eyelets / grommets while I'm at it.

Rob F,
Sounds like a good plan. I was a little squimish about drilling the permanent hole but that would be the best option. I added the guru eyelets also.

Think I got my squeamishness resolved... Trip to the hardware store this evening and I've now got the handles on the mid section that I always wanted (genie garage handle mod) and the lamp hardware eyelet mod (3/8" OD all thread and brass nuts on each side). The mav hangs on the door handle fairly well.

And just in time for an overnight pork shoulder cook for lunch tomorrow. Shame the guru didn't get here in time... oh well, WSM stability + maverick remote is still pretty good rest.

The guru arrived and looks awesome. But despite my reasoning beforehand, I had the realization when messing with it that my geek-factor is indeed high enough that I should have bought the stoker for the stokerlog functionality. I'll get plenty of rest on those overnight cooks thanks to the stability of my WSM, the guru ATC and my maverick set to alarm at any spikes... but... I now realize that I would very much appreciate a temp chart so I know not just where we're at, but where we've been and for how long. Oh well. If I ever add the 22" to my collection, then I'll get the stoker at that point.

All my reservations about the guru purchase instead of the stoker just went out the window. I would definitely like a temp log, but...

After beginning my trial run this evening, I'm in heaven with my guru. This automatic temp control unit is awesome. Started a small (couple layers) minion method w/ the empty center for the dozen or so hot coals. Assembled the cooker. When temps got north of 100*F, I shut all intake vents (exhaust 100% open, blower port at 50% open on a 3/4" hole). This little control unit took the cold pit from 57*F to 230*F on the button, no overshoot, no ripple. It's been @ 230* +/-2* for the last few hours. It's within 1* of my Maverick probe which I have alarmed at +/-5* deviation so I'll know if/when it is out of range. I almost wish that I had prepped the brisket last night so I could cook it tonight. Didn't expect it to go so well so quickly. Yay for overnight cooks without losing sleep! :)

Below is my current set up. The hanger on the handle is an aluminum weed cloth stake that was easily bent as required. Maverick hanging off back, guru in front. It's not good enough to be permanent (too malleable) , but it's the style I decided I like after trying it out. Will use re-bar or something similar instead at some point. Also, will likely either add new eyelets behind the mount point or move the handles to be near the existing eyelets to eliminate the cord clutter. Definitely didn't need the 10ft leads. Finally, the blower mount is in line with the top vent holes and is sized at 3/4", the same as the normal vent holes (not 1" per guru instructions, may need enlarged for high heat use). I chose this so I could best replicate the experience of others that mount to existing vent holes. The blower restrictor plate is at approximately 50%.

34pdx1h.jpg

Man, this thing is efficient. It nursed a half-filled coal ring for 12+ hours @ 230. Although I suspect that being a dry run with no meat in the chamber may have helped that. Regardless, I love the way this thing works. Looking forward to an overnight cook with it tonight.

Back