DigiQ DX adaptor for WSM fit Question

Rodney B

TVWBB Member
Thinking about getting a temp. control for my WSM and looking at the DigiQ DX. After watching a video on youtube of the DigiQ being installed on the WSM I have some concerns about the fit of the fan adaptor.

The fit of the adaptor in the video seems to be very poor, it has to be taped around the outside to keep the air out and also tape on the piece on the inside to get the air to blow in the right direction. Did I miss something or is that just how it is? When I think of a custom fit that isn't it. I know there is the option to drill a hole but that's not going to happen, I will only use the air intake vent.

I have read nothing but good things about the DigiQ and know it is a great product. I was hoping some of you DigiQ/WSM owners could give me your opinion on the fit of the adaptor or have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bwOUjFgLyE

Only thing that needs to be taped is the remaining holes on the vent after the adaptor is installed. Mine fit perfect.

Rodney,
I've seen the same video and wondered the same thing. I just received my digiQ dx yesterday and plan (hopefully) to set it up tomorrow or Sunday. I'll post the results. I have the 18.5 WSM.
Gary

P.S. I just looked at the video again and notice something. Read the extended comments on the description of the video. The guy says the problem with the fit was that the screw that runs through the adapter needs to be loosened a bit to get the right fit. One of the problems with the digiQ (this is a problem with lots of stuff) is that the installation instructions are not real clear. The operation instructions seem to be much clearer.

You definitely have to play with the adapter when you install it to make sure it's seated right...but it should snug up fine if you position it right. I use high heat tape around the outside of the fitting and over the rest of the vent, as well as the other vents, because my 18.5" WSM runs hot if I don't. With all the bottom vents closed off it runs exactly at the temp I set the DigiQ to. Since the point of the thing is to be able to regulate the temps, I see it as a necessary evil.

Rodney,
I'm not sure if you've seen guru's installation instructions for the Weber but here they are. There were only operation, not installation, included in my package and there's no reference to these installation instructions. The instructions I received were just for the digiQ, nothing on installing the adapter.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/pdf/..._Smokey_Mountain.pdf
From reading the instructions and watching the video, it's pretty clear that Step 1 of the instructions should have been expanded upon.

Thanks everyone, I figured that it had to have a better fit than shown in the video. I don't mind having to tape over the other vent holes but the huge gap in the adaptor and the diffuser just had me puzzled.

I really like how the PitmasterIQ 110 fits over the entire vent, I have not ruled this unit out either.

I'm leaning toward the DigiQ mainly because of the ramp down feature, I think this would be a big help for over night cooks and give a little more piece of mind. Do you DidgeQ owners use this feature very much? If you do what has been your experience with the ramp down?

Thanks,
Rodney

I just purchased a Digiq 2 about three months ago. I love it and never had a ATC before. The ramp feature is nice and if i'm using it as it is described it'll hold meat by controlling temps at the desired meat temp. For the money and peace of mind a ATC is worth it. I'm not sure if Pitmaster has ramp feature but I'm pretty sure the stoker does. I went with the digiq 2 by guru bc of the features and didnt need all the other features that stoker has, Im a backyarder q'er; the stoker seems that the professionals like it bc of all the features and functions over the internet capabilities.
If you do get a digiq 2 by guru, i'd go with the option of a 2 dollars more to get the longer probe lengths, there alittle more length can help setting it up where you want it.

Just FYI I used my Digi Q for several years mounted this way. It worked just fine, but I don't always use the ATC so wasn't a big fan of tying up one of the vents in the WSM for it.

Last season finally got around to drilling a separate 1" hole (use a step drill) to mount the adapter. Best solution IMHO. No tape, you don't tie up a vent. Leave the adapter in place and just plug with the silicon stopper when not in use.

There has to be another way than using the tape. I like r benash's idea. Yet I dont like the idea of drilling a hole on my WSM. What else could be used to stop the airflow from the vents that could be removed when you dont want to use the guru?

That tape is very limited and messy.

The WSM/Guru adaptor installation into one of the vent holes is pretty simple, actually. My WSM has three separate vent openings in the bottom section, with each of these vent openings having three holes in each.
The Guru adaptor utilizes airflow thru one of those three holes in the vent you elect to use. Since the vent has to be open, you need to seal off the other two holes that will be left open after installation. High heat tape is perfect for this application and is supplied with the adaptor. On the inside of the WSM. you will install an air deflector which forces air towards the lit coals to control the fire.
Its a lot easier installation than you may think. Two pieces screw together and you tape two vent holes off. Takes a total of only a few minutes and is a neat, hassle free installation. Beginner level stuff.

I`m sure it is. The only thing is, there is very limited high heat tape that came with my Digiq DX. I don´t plan to use my guru all the time, only in long cooks. That being said, I would have to remove the tape after I finish my long cook so I can do my short cooks without it. Perhaps placing a few balls of foil on the wholes will have the same effect as the tape, foil is always available, I just dont know where to get more high temp tape.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daniel Judge:
I`m sure it is. The only thing is, there is very limited high heat tape that came with my Digiq DX. I don´t plan to use my guru all the time, only in long cooks. That being said, I would have to remove the tape after I finish my long cook so I can do my short cooks without it. Perhaps placing a few balls of foil on the wholes will have the same effect as the tape, foil is always available, I just dont know where to get more high temp tape. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did the existing hole/tape thing for several years. Taking an hour to drill a seperate dedicated hole is the best solution IMHO, wish I had done it earlier.

But sure using the existing hole as mentioned is the easiest. You can find aluminum tape at the local auto store, or at least used to.

Daniel, I don't how good this works but it looks like a good idea in using knockout plugs to plug the vent holes instead of tape(http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/3530019885). I don't know how air tight they are, maybe someone who uses these can comment.

Im still trying to decide on a DigiQ or the Pitmaster 110. I like the idea of the ramp mode on the DiGiQ but Im not sure it's worth $130 more just for that feature.

Rodney

Rodney. Thanks for the link.. that is exactly what I am going to do. Those knokout plugs should work perfectly.

I went through the same troubles not knowing which to buy. Ramp mode on the Guru definitely a plus.. It is fancier, looks very well made and has a bunch of really cool features. I ended up thinking that its better to spend a little extra cash and not regret making the wrong choice down the road. I am very satisfied with my Digiq DX.

I understand exactly what you mean about the regrets over not spending a little extra, I know we have all been there before.

The thing I like about the Pitmaster 110 besides it's simplicity is that the fan and controler are housed in the same unit. It can be placed in a box or covered very easly to keep it out of the weather. The DiGiQ controler can be covered easly but the fan unit would require a little engineering to make it weatherproof. The main thing I want is to set it and forget it. I guess I just think to much, but hopefully in the next few weeks I will make up my mind and be on the road to temperature control.

Daniel,

Half the fun of starting with the WSM is you can experiment with so many variations and get the same result in the end.
The knock out plug idea is a fine alternative, and they available at Lowes or Home Depot.
I bought a roll of high heat tape from a hardware store recently, so thats commercially available as well.
When I first set up my Guru, I figured I'd be shifting back and forth like others suggested. Once I got the idea that the Guru can take all the guesswork out of any cook I do, I never have taken the tape off.
But I do know what you mean, and I personally would try those knockout plugs.

Back