Digi not holding temp

Andy V

TVWBB Member
Calibrated the digital last night, closed both bottom vents and taped the two holes on the vent the adapter is installed in. I had the fan dampener fully open, and the top vent was fully open also. Started a slow burn in the chimney. Temp was around 150 and I put it in the wsm. The guru took the temp to 225(what I set). In a little time the temp went from225 to 235 then over 255 in two hrs. Do you need to close the fan dampener some due to the natural current it would drawe throw it with the fan off? Or do I have a leak issue. I didn't have too much problem controlling temps in the past

Hmmm.....
"I didn't have too much problem controlling temps in the past" -

What temps did you have before with all the bottom vents closed? Higher temps is air, if you maintained 235 with all the vents closed before, the extra air let in by the damper could do it. I usually close the damper to 50% with a 10CFM fan.

Guess I stated this wrong. Before the guru I could hold temps at 200 for jerky easily. With not atc. Put the guru on and no control what so ever just kept climbing. Do I just need to close the dampener more

Andy, with my CQ wifi I had to close the fan damper to about 50%. Also my top vent is nearly closed all the way. Experiment and you'll find the right setup.

Do I just need to close the dampener more

Andy, I'm not sure what the exact issue may be in YOUR particular case, but, like Joe just explained, I might suggest next cook that you - as I do with my DigiQ DX - (1) close the damper to 50%; (2) just barely crack the top vent open; and (3) load up the charcoal ring with unlit (I use K-blue briquettes exclusively, BTW) charcoal, fire up 5-10 briquettes, wait until they're fully engulfed in flames, dump on the unlit, and turn on yer ATC.

This technique has worked for me every time.

Regards,

Rooster

Back