Different Woods

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I moved from Oklahoma to Barbados recently. I no longer have pecan, apple and cherry readily available.

In my new yard, I have lime, lemon, tangerine, mango, coconut, sea almond, fig and pomegranate. Does anyone have any idea if I can use these woods? I want to smoke my bird tomorrow for Thanksgiving.

Thanks
bkh

From what I can find the lemon and the fig are okay to use. Don't know about how well they go with turkey.

I'd think if the lemon is okay, the tangerine would be too.

I'd like to think the mango, and pomegranate would be, but just don't know.

I use all the citruses often--lime, lemon, orange, tangerine (tangerine is a favorite--particularly good for fishes and fowl), grapefruit, pummelo, calamondin--and fig. Pomegranate will work if you get thicker, more developed wood. The thinner immature stuff doesn't work well, imo, and the same goes for mango but since that is a tree and not a shrub that is easier to get. Use mature fig cuttings as well if you can, but you can get away with thinner stuff so long as it's hard. Coconut and sea almond aren't good woods for smoking with in my opinion.

Barbados is one of my favorite places. So nice that you can live there.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks John and Kevin
I'll try the tangerine. Do you know of a fruit called "sour sop"? If so, we have one of those as well.
Happy Thanksgiving
bkh

Back