different cooking temps

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Has anyone experienced a 50 to 75 degree higher temp on the bottom rack. I have the problem and can't seem to solve it. Any suggestions?

This time I am using a full pan of water. I have a 10 pound butt on the top rack. I am using the Minion method. I have been smoking now for about an hour. The top rack is steady at 250 and the bottom at 350. This time it's okay because I have nothing on the bottom. But you could imagine my problem if I had another one on the bottom.

I don't think I'm getting a false reading. I have drilled and installed the same model thermometer in the side wall at the height of the bottom rack and in the lid at the top rack.

Do me a favor. Get an oven therm or a probe thru a potato and place it in the center of the bottom rack. Compare the two and post the results. I have a feeling you are reading some heat leakage from around the bowl or you have a bad therm. Normally the bottom rack is cooler than the top. This varies a little as the smoker gets closer to finishing time. I would not bother to do it right now, lets not mess up a good butt!

Welcome to the forum, Chris

How long are the thermometer probes, and did you check the calibration of each in boiling water before installation?

You may be reading the hotter air rising around the pan if the lower themometer's stem is too short.

That's a good point. The probes are very short so they don't protrude into my cooking space. I'll check the temps with oven thermometers next time I fire it up. I'll keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back