Difference in therm temps

Patrick B

Hey all, right in the middle of Pork Shoulders over briskets and noticed something weird. I have a Nu-temp701 probe in the dome vent and a tel-tru analog bbq thermometer also clipped into the dome vent. There is a 15-20 degree difference between the two. I just did the boiling water test recently for all therms and they where right on. Anyone have a clue as to the reason for the disparity? Finally, some beautiful weather in the northeast to BBQ in!!

Have the thermometers had time to stabilize? It may be that their response times are different. Also, is one closer to the side of the cooker than the other? Might be heat rolling up the sides from around the water pan. The only truly valid comparison would be if they were reading from the same location. I've seen some major differences in my Nu Temp and my Tel Tru therms (especially last weekend when it was so windy) but I haven't had time to investigate it yet.

I am a rookie, but I also have a difference between digital temp guage and analog guage.

Once the WSM has really stabilized the temperature spreads decrease and become about the same.

Tom Johnson
Phoenix

Back