Did first Turkey today...have some misc. questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Hello all! I followed the recipe on this site for doing a butterball turkey in the 12lb. range. Turned out pretty darned excellent. Fired up a full chimney, and after those got going tossed another full chimney on top, in the WSM. Spiced up the turkey, threw 3 medium apple chunks on, and voila, 2 hours later it was done. WSM stayed around 330* to 345*. It got done about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes sooner than I thought it would but that was no problem. I let it rest for 30 minutes then hacked it up. I mean literally, I hacked it up! First turkey I've ever carved, and I've only done a couple chickens. If anyone has some tips or a good website that shows how to carve a turkey please, lead me to it!

The few questions I have are...The apple wood I have has the bark on it. I cut it off for the cook but is this neccesary? Can you smoke poultry/beef/fish at the same time or will the tastes all fuse together? I do realize that in order to smoke different meats/fish together they would need to cook at the same temp. Just curious about that. I realized I need some good thermometers. I use a candy thermometer thru the top vent, but I need a good instant read and probe type. I bought a digital probe/cable type(pyrex brand) from the local store for $15. It's junk, doesn't hardly work at all. I also have one of those fork things you stick in the meat. It takes it forever to read the temp. I'll probably go with the polder since it seems many like that one, but as to the instant read I haven't a clue...Just want to say thanks for the site, it got me thru cooking today!

Ron

Good going on the turkey. My preferred carving method is this: Rest for 15-20 minutes-- important. Remove wings. Break thigh joints and remove thighs and legs. With an electric knife, carve down close to the breast bone, following it down as you go-- the goal being to remove the side of the breast in one big chunk. Then slice the breast across the grain into medallions about 1/2" thick.

I would leave fish unto itself if you do it in the WSM. Pork and beef-- no problem, especially the ever-popular pork butt on top basting brisket below.

I have and like the Taylor brand digital probe thermometer-- solid-feeling and has an on-off switch, unlike some others you have to remove the battery to turn off.

If the bark isn't thick or funky, I leave it on.

Ron,

I also use Taylor Digital Probes. They can be had at any Target Store for around $17.00. I have had mine going on two years now and they both still test within 1 degree in boiling water. Good unit.

I would do exactly like Doug said above re: the carving. It works good for me. I use an ET-73 dual probe to monitor the smoker an grill. I had one of those instant fork things that I have given away as it was useless due to time it took to register and am saving my quarters for one of those Thermopens that Chris talks about on the homepage re: themometers.
Lane

Thank you all for the info....

Doug, I live in Southgate, Mi. About 10 minutes south of Detroit.

One more question...I think I'll get the Taylor digital probe, but what about an instant read type? I've heard nothing but good about that Thermopen but I don't think I can bring myself to drop that kind of coin for it...help me decide.........

Ron

Here's a little trick I use: I have one of those cheap Taylor digital "instant read" sticks-- about $10 retail. Before opening the WSM to check, for example, chicken, I turn it on and stick it in the top vent and wait until it reads about 5 degrees on either side of what I expect the meat temp to be. Then I quickly remove the lid and take a reading. It's only a matter of a few seconds then, rather than waiting for it to climb from ambient temp to the meat temp. If you want true instant read-- 4 to 10 seconds-- you have to pay the price.

Ron

I have the Thermapen, fastest version, and love it. Costs around $80, I think. I really do use it for things in the kitchen and on the grill more than I thought. You can nail a steak to extact temp and likewise burgers. It's great on chicken breast to see when you hit 160. It is an extremly high quality product and apparently is widely used in the food industry to determine if foods are at the proper temp for serving in resturants, etc.

I have no regrets about the purchase.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back