Dexter Russell Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Moore

TVWBB Super Fan
I know there has been a lot of discussion recently about knives in this forum, so I'll keep them here! Anyway - just took everyone's advice to others in a recent thread and went to a good cutlery store. Took my Wusthof's in for their annual sharpening and looked around and "felt" a lot of knives.

I am looking for a Santoku. My favorite was a Dexter Russell (also tried Wusthof's, Henckels, Messermeister (sp?), Forshner and a few others). It was the 8" santoku that I was test driving - mainly because that was the only Dexter Russell they had in at the time! So I don't know for sure that all the others will feel as good, but this one was great. But I have a 5-pc Wusthof collection going now - hate to break that up - or should I be more concerned with the feel of the knife than keeping the same set of knives going. My gut says, why keep buying a knife that doens't feel as good as my trusty Wusthofs...

Any general impressions of the Dexter Russell's would be much appreciated also!

Thanks in advance!

Hey Rick,

I dont look so much at the name, but the feel and the job I can do with it. Wusthof is my first pic in a chef knife. I also a a few Henckels. My cleaver is a Dexter and my long slicer is a Russel. What you like is the right one for you.

Rick

Buy what-ever feels good in your hand. If there isn't a clear favorite (sounds like there is) and you want your knives to match, buy the matching one.
I bought most of my knives (Henckels) before all this good brands were available in the area I lived. No internet, not a lot of high end cookware catalogs, I could find Henckels so that's what I bought. Am I sorry I bought (almost) all Henkels? Not for a minute. Would I do it if I were buying my first set of good knives now? I don't know. Guess I never will unless someone steals these, or the house burns down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back