Desperate for Rib Help

AZ Specter

ok- I tried the BRITU on my loin backs yesterday. Flavor was incredible! Soo much that I think Im going to try the same rub on my next brisket! However- once again, the texture was that of a 'hammy' texture. It seemed fairly fatty to me- and not as tender as I want.

I've had ribs where literally the meat just pulls from the bone- easier than pulled pork butts do.You could just take your fingers and pull the meat right off the bone- or- barely lift the rib up and the meat falls from the bone. I don't know how to get it to that point, and where it's much less fatty. While the flavor was great (didn't even put bbq sause on the things!)- the tenderness is lacking.

This was the 2nd attempt- first time I bought meat from Wal-mart. This time I bought from CostCo in a 3-pack. I thought that the loin backs were the most lean vs. the spare ribs. I absolutely LOVE ribs- but- I am getting discouraged on this now. Can someone please help me to be able to get it to the extra-tender texture? I'm desperate now..

Oh, and Im using the WSM...

AZ
I am no expert by any means but I can offer what works for me. I have found the baby backs from Sam's to be the best for me.

First I assume you are skinning the back side of the ribs. I will smoke mine for 4 - 4 1/2 hours at 200 -220 degrees. Then wrap in foil for another hour. I will check mine after 2 hours and every 30 minutes thereafter, if they appear to be drying out I use a spray bottle of apple sauce to keep them moist if needed.

I cannot get every rack to turn out the same so that may be part of it. Sometimes they are tough and dry no matter what. This may be the age of the meat or size of the hog they come from not really sure.

All you can do on the fatty issue is trim more off before smoking again this is the size and amount of fat on the hog. I butcher our own hogs and have seen all ribs from 70lb piglets to 400lb sows. They are all different.

The tenderness comes in with the wrapping in foil. You can even add your favorite mop sauce in the foil with the ribs to give it more moisture.

If you are not foiling, try that and it should help,,,the longer the better.

Randy

have you tried the 3-2-1 method? Do a search and you'll find lots of info.

Some will say that fall off the bone ribs are overcooked, but it being your preference, the 3-2-1 method will give you the results you want.

As for the hammy taste, try less salt in your rub or apply the rub just before smoking. ALso, the wal-mart ribs are enhanced, so cut down the salt accordingly.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Jay. I did a rub and let it sit overnight once and they were hammy.

Now I dust them right before I throw them on and that problem is gone.

BRITU will not give you that "Tender fall off the bone" texture. It does give you a nice texture that still gives you something to chew yet falls off the bone.

I have not done the 3-2-1 but I imagine the foiling locks in the juices giving you the desired texture you are looking for.

Personally I love the tender yet something to chew that the BRITU gives you. I can't imagine doing them any other way.

With that said, you absolutely must remove the "skin" on the back side of ribs. See here
Chris has two pages on preparing ribs. He also has a nice video showing you how to remove such skin.

YUP THATS ME!!!!

Believe it or not I still cannot get FRESH ribs to turn out as good as Sam's. I have killed the hog in the morning and smoked the complete slab that afternoon. My record so far is a slab that measured 27" by 16" from the backbone to the bottom tip of the rib. They are good but just not as good to me. These won't fit the WSM but cut apart they will.

I have taken other slabs and cut the baby backs off the spares and tried it that way as well. I am sure i could learn alot from a professional butcher but we do ok.

Unless you are coooking a whole hog it's not worth butchering yourself unless we sell the smoked hams or bacon or something like that. I usually buy more ribs than butcher myself.

You might (scratch might) are a redneck if.....
You teach your 6 year old son what each and every part of a hogs guts are.

He learns real fast by the way.

Just did b-backs last night. Cooked 3 slabs from sam's.

3.5 hours at 250 lid, foiled for 50 minutes w/apple juice, firmed up at 275 lid w/glaze for 25 minutes.

Blew my brothers socks off. He said the ribs were perfect. I agreed.

Back