Dented Lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Stanek

TVWBB Fan
I got my OTG a few months ago and really the only thing I hate about it is the stupid lid hanger. If you bump the kettle event in the slightest, the lid falls.

I've dropped my lid now several times and Ijust noticed last night that it must have hit directly on the top handle because it dented the top of my lid in... enough where the edge of the vent is no longer flush with the contour of the lid.

Should I try pushing it out or just not worry about it?

Hi Chris, Not sure exactly where the dent on yours is but I had one that the handle had pushed the top middle in. I used a rubber mallet to tap it out. It popped back out without any damage. I did this only because I did not want any water to sit in there and start rusting the handles. Hope this helps

I really recommend the Weber slide-aside lid holder. ($20 via Weber store, more at Amazon)

It secures very nicely to whatever side you choose and blocks some wind while lighting a chimney starter. If it wasn't bundled with my Craigslist OTG I doubt that I would know about it. Like tool holders it may add a slight gap to the cover's seal so one may want to remove it for some BBQ/smoke cooks.

Before I bought my Slide-Aside I use to have similar problems with that little hook. I had to bend down to actually see if that hanger was set right on the bowl while my face got awfully close to some red hot coals.
Someone on here mentioned hooking it right on one of the handles. Geez whiz that was one of the easiest and most effective ways to hook that lid without losing it.

Tim

That exactly what happened. It never just falls... it sorda swings around and lands upside down right on the handle. That's what's pushed in. I'll try beating it with a mallet to see what happens. It's just annoying.

I'm definately going to get the slide aside deal. Thanks guys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Redman:
Hi Chris, Not sure exactly where the dent on yours is but I had one that the handle had pushed the top middle in. I used a rubber mallet to tap it out. It popped back out without any damage. I did this only because I did not want any water to sit in there and start rusting the handles. Hope this helps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
the slide a side should be mandatory for every kettle. well worth the price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen...and goes a long way to make a OTG closer to a Platinum in features, especially if you have a table nearby!

I love my Slide-Aside!
But until you can purchase one, hooking the lid on a handle is one of those Duh moments...
As to why didn't I think of this sooner.
icon_wink.gif

You Learn allot reading these forums, and that's what I like.
icon_cool.gif

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back