Defrost a Butt

Bill Mengel

TVWBB Fan
Is there a quick way to defrost butts? I have a 2 pack from Sams and would like to defrost it quicker than the 3 day in the fridge. I'd really like to start it tonight but I don't think thats gona happen.

Put the cryovac in the kitchen sink, and fill it with cool water, changing it out every 30 minutes. You might get lucky enough to get most of it defrosted, so that you could start it tonight. If the center core is still frozen it would thaw during cooking, and pose no real hazard since the part of the meat that will still be between 40 and 140° for several hours is not on the outer surface.

I usually don't freeze the cryovac butts I get from Sam's as they always have a date on them that's about 10 days out. That typically gives me two weekends to decide to cook them. Important to note here: I have only a small freezer, and Sam's is about 1 mile away.

I bought 3 at cub foods a few weeks ago when they were on sale for 88 cents a pound. I repackaged them in my foodsaver. I did as Doug said just put it in the sink for several hours. I am trying to think how long it took. I think it was thawed in 3 hours. This was only one though. may take longer with 2.

Back