Deeper smoke flavor for salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Thank you Chris and Jim for the great recipies for smoking salmon on the WSM. The last time I made it I couldnt seem to get that rich smoked flavor I'm used to. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get a deeper smoke flavor into my smoked salmon. The Alder smoked salmon I buy in the store has a darker color and a much deeper richer smoked taste. I upped the Alder this last time to 6 chunks and hit it form the time the fish went on the grill. I dont want to use a wood that would make it too sharp or smoke it to the point of being overly dry but I do want more favor. Often I like to use the salmon in dip or pate' and that smoked flavor makes the dip!! (though for the purpose I'm using it for if I have to dry it out a bit to get the flavor I'm willing to try)

The wood I've been using is Alder. I know Alder can be mild but I have learned that this is what is traditionally used with Salmon from the Northwest. Much of what I'm getting comes from the great lakes or the Atlantic and we dont get that much Alder here perhaps I should be trying other woods ? What are other woods that you people have tried with good results for Fish?

I did read Chris's segment on smoke woods in the lets cook section and now have a varied supply of many of those woods listed.

What temprature should I smoke to for this purpose??

Thanks

you could try using soaked alder chips and replenishing often, that should give much thicker and stronger smoke.

Personally, I like only the smallest hint of smoke when doing fish or poultry. I find it's easy to oversmoke. Just my personal taste I guess

Hmm. From what I've seen, the store bought stuff is cooked a bit differently. From what you describe, you are either grilling the salmon or hot smoking it. The store bought stuff is more than likely the brined, appetizer style of smoked salmon.

I would venture to guess that the store bought stuff was probably brined for 8 to 24 hours and smoked for 8 to 10 hours. Assuming, that is, that we're thinking of the same stuff. I think we are.

Any time I do salmon like that, I smoke it with alder in a Big or Little Chief smoker. I've found that it's pretty tough to keep the temp of a WSM at that low of a temp (150ish) for a long period of time.

Chris has done a few write ups on smoked salmon. Check this one out and see how it works for you.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/salmon2.html

Ryan
Eugene, Oregon

P.S.- Just in case Minion sees this.......

The Dawgs are going down on Nov. 16 /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry guys I dont know how that recipie got past me. Thanks for pointing it out. Will try it and see what result I get. Thanks

I have had some sucess with salmon but it is a pain to do with low temps and a lot of smoke.
I usually try to do 4 fillets 2 on each grill.
I use the kosher salt/brown sugar dry rub method tthat Chris mentions in his writeup. Then I
put them on a cookie sheet-stainless steel-and cover with clear wrap.Put in the fridge at a slight angle and put a weight on top(told you this is a pain). Leave it alone for a day or two
but make sure the moisture being drawn out of the
fish hasn't onerflowed the cookie sheet and make a mess. The day you are ready to smoke take the fish and wash real good under cold water to get all of the rub off or it will be too salty-voice of experience talking here.Let them air dry as per Chris's write-ups.
Now for the smoker:
I have two pans that I got from Weber that are used to hold briquettes to the side in a Kettle
when using the Indirect Method. I start about
15 briquettes of Kingsford and dump it in this pan when it is ready. I put the pan right in front
of the access door on the WSM. You can control the temp pretty good this way and hold it for a while. I use apple chips they give a lot more smoke and the flavor doesn't overpower the fish.I just grab a handful,dip my hand in a can of water,shake the excess and throw it in the pan.This little bit of water helps keep down temp spikes but isn't enough to kill the fire. You can add briquettes as needed to keep your fire going.I put some water in the pan but the temp usually doesn't get above 212. I just have it as insurance for a spike and also out of habit. I can't tell you when to take the fish off the smoker. That is personal choice as to how moist or dry you like it. Wrap the tail section in foil as it get done. this will help to keep it from getting too dry.
I hope I didn't confuse you too much with this post. Do a "search" here for salmon and you will find a lot of other information as this is a popular thing to do on the WSM. I must add a disclaimer here though that even with all of this trouble the finished product won't taste like the
stuff you buy for $$$$$/lb. That is cold
smoked 90-100degs for a long time in the old north and thefish is fresher to begin with. You can turn out a product that people will love,though, and it is a lot cheaper. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck,
Pat Barnes

Jim,

I am not talking about Lox (which is what i think you mean by a cold smoked salmon??) just a heavier smoked version of the dinner type salmon recipie you shared. I have a hypothesis that the Alantic farm raised salmon will not produce as good a result because it is lower in fat than the kings and the sockeyes. I will try the recipie on Chris's recipie page and see if this produces the desired results. I may try the apple and maybe some sugar maple. Any other wood recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back