Deep cleaning on Summit 620

Mark Mangini

I've done some searches on here and YouTube and found some good tips but my grill is pretty hammered inside and I need some expert advice.

I removed the grates and flavor bars and scraped them down prior to dipping them into tub a of Dawn to soak overnight.

I got a good majority of the loose stuff scraped from thr burner box but there is still alot of work to be done. So far I've only used a plastic scraper for a majority of the inside and a regular putty knife (gently) for the really hard caked material.

The sides of the grill, the top, and thr burner box have some pretty heavy thick grime still there which was really kicking my butt until I stopped for the day. Are there any good safe cleaners to use to get this grime off ? I have Purple Power, Simple Green, and other cleaners on hand already but I wanted to see what the more experienced owners use.

Thanks! Mark

Here are a few pictures I just took.

20210507_165330.jpg20210507_165340.jpg20210507_165343.jpg20210507_165351.jpg

A good oven cleaner will go a long ways. You can use a razor blade scraper on the ceramic parts. But most environmentally friendly household cleaners won't do much for you.

My cleaning supplies are from the dollar store... dollar store oven cleaner, dollar store plastic/stainless mesh scrubbers, dollar store scrubbing sponges, dollar store dishwashing soap, and dollar store paint scraper. They work great for me and super cheap.

Warning - if you use dollar store spray oven cleaner and wear anti-glare coated prescription glasses take em off before you start to clean the grill. I ruined a pair of glasses when the mist of oven cleaner damaged my anti-glare coating.
Costco Business outlet in Toronto sells commercial grade sodium hydroxide based grill cleaner for $6 CAD a gallon - smells exactly like Easy Off oven cleaner but a heck of a lot cheaper. It does a wonderful job cleaning old greasy BBQ's but it's pretty harsh on skin - it even ate through a pair of rubber gloves (mind you I cleaned 2 gas BBQs before the gloves started to leak)

Back