Decisions......decisions

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
Which would you buy and why? I was wondering, is it cheaper to buy the St. Louis style ribs for $2.99/lb or the Spareribs for $1.49/lb if you plan on using only the St. Louis style rib cut (from the Spareribs)?

$2.99/lb for St. Louis style ribs or
$2.99/lb Babyback ribs or
$1.49/lb Spareribs

I get full spares. Its nothing to cut them up if you got a sharp knife. I love all the pieces. Yep, St Louis is just a cut off of the spare.

Well, if you're planning to buy a rack of untrimmed spares, trim the skirt and tips to make a St Louis cut, and then throw out the skirt and tips, then I suppose the already-trimmed would be the way to go. If, however, you plan to smoke the skirt and tips along with the trimmed ribs (or save them to smoke with other skirts and tips when you have a bunch), then the untrimmed is a far better deal.

Heck... Buy em all!...
icon_wink.gif

Dave, thanks for the advice. I have trimmed many spareribs but for some reason or another, I only care for the rib bone section. IMO, it has much better flavor and is more moist. However, I would never throw the breast bone meat, and skirt meat away. I would use it for something else, possibly making chinese ribs in the oven.

I'm with Dale and Dave--the untrimmed spares. But I like all the parts. If you prefer the trimmed ribs then the $2.99 price isn't bad at all.

($.02 always welcome Dave! It's the variety of experience--and opinion--that is one of the reasons this board is great.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Don't mean to be giving you instructions Erik. You've probably cut more spares than I'll live to see </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dave/G, you are an intelligent person - your opinion is worthwhile - we want it (especially when you to agree with me)

Eric - smoke them and throw them in your beans
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
I've tried spares twice, each using St Louis cut, after viewing Chris's video about 50 times.
It's easy, just make sure your knife is very sharp. During the first try, especially when removing the membrane, I thought I'd mess the whole thing up, but wasn't too bad.The 2nd time I did a better and neater job. Give it a go. Also, the meat that comes off after you separate the ribs from the breast bone is a very nice piece of pork to smoke and it is done in much less time than the ribs so you have something to munch on while waiting for the ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Looks to me that he likes full spares, as I do
icon_smile.gif

Why? more ounces of edible meat per $ I am very cheap
icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree...buy the whole spare. It is not that much trouble to trim and you say 1/2 the price! Plus those other cuts can be used for so many other things. I love to take leftover smoked meat and add to my soups in the winter. Makes them much better!

for a while I was smoking a lot of Turkey Breasts - slice off the maet, leaving plenty on the carcass freeze it and later make Smoked Turkey Soup from the carcass

GOOD EATS!!

Back