Dead wood okay to smoke with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor Blohm

TVWBB Member
Happy holidays everyone

I have access to an old, abandoned apple orchard. The trees are still alive, but most have dead limbs. Can I use the dead limbs for smoking? I ain't talking rotten wood, just old dry limbs still on the tree.

Should I do anything to the "stump" after I cut the dead limb off-I remember my dad spray painting it.

How long should "green" wood be dried before using?

Thanks

Trevor

Rotten is no good...discard it.
Dry is perfect...
For the wood that is still 'green', we put it under cover, and on pallets and let it cure for about 4-6 months, depending on climate.

The orchardists that we deal with have us leave about 3 feet of stump so they can be pulled with a cat.

enjoy!

SmokinSteve (Steve Davidson), owner
smokinchips.com

Hi Trevor,

Thanks to you, my wife got me a WSM for Christmas. Did a pair of baby back ribs after returning from a short session on the Chicago River (6 carp to 19-6). Ribs were great and I am in your debt for steering me in the right direction.

The apple wood should be great. We have removed a couple of fruit trees from our backyard over the years (apple, cherry and peach) and I always save as much as I can.

I pretty much agree with Steve. Nothin wrong with dead wood as long as it's not rotten. You'll know if it's still green when you split it. Split wood will also season faster than rounds. Keep it off the ground and covered but not smothered. Air circulation-good, hot house effect-bad. Better it gets a little rain on the outside than rotting from the inside. Good example: Get a well seasoned pc of wood and submerge it in water for 24 hrs and see how much moisture it absorbs.
Just an FYI, when getting wood from the pile when it's cold, always wear gloves. I've been stung many times by nasty bees that like to winter in the pile and get pissed off when you wake them /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the advice on the limbs. I will let you know how it goes, and I will watch out for the bees!

Paul-I am really glad you like it. You have steered me right many times in the past, I am glad to return one.

Just wait until you try a shoulder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back