Daytime Pork Butt Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Four pork butts weighing 30 pounds going on the old WSM this morning. All four slathered with mustard and two rubbed with the new KC Masterpiece Dry Rub and two with Famous Daves Dry Rub.

Cooking two more Thursday night using Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal for the first time in the WSM, can't wait, to see if this stuff is all it's cracked up to be.

At 11:20am EDST, after nearly 1.5 hours on the WSM using the Minion Method, all vents 100% open, 30lbs. of cold meat and sand in the pan, the WSM just got up to 225* at the top grate. More updates to follow.

Bruce,
I did a 4 butt 32lb cook a couple weeks ago. It took about two hours for mine to get a dome temp of 250*. 22 hours total for the cook. I have seen the KC rub but never tried it. I guess I will have to give it a shot. Good luck!

Larry,

Upon my initial tasting I found it to be really salty. Then I put some on some grilled chicken I had and the saltiness seemed to go down.

I did, prior to rubbing the butts, add 1 1/2 tblsp of Turbinado sugar to the rub and that seemed to balance out the salt and sweet.

Well here we are 12 hours since I put on the pork butts and they are all sitting around 180-185. I do like to take mine to 197 so I have about an hour or so to go.

Added about 3/4 chimney of charcoal about 8pm, temps were OK but it seemed like I had alot of ash in the bowl. Better to be safe than sorry.

These butts are going to be wrapped and kept in a cooler until they cool down enough to be put into the refrigerator until Saturday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back