Dave's Camp Chef Woodwind 36 WIFI Experiences

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it's you selling your nice looking PG1000. I was browsing the use pellet grill market when I came across one.

Dang. I'm not very incognito now am I? LOL! I did post a number of items on CL this weekend. Camp Chef Somerset IV Stove, Fast Eddy PG1000, Traeger Timberline 1300 and my Camp Chef FTG600. Need to make some room on the ole patio. I also sold my Pit Barrel Cooker and my WSM, so I gotta update my signature. A coworker just bought it from me. The PG1000 was my first pellet smoker.

Dave what didn’t you like about the Timberline?

Lack of smoke flavor. Super Smoke was a bit sooty. Otherwise, the thing runs rock solid steady and has even temps throughout. It's also very well made for a Traeger, like really nice compared to some of their cheaper grills. It puts the EX6 to shame IMO in terms of build quality and heft, but that's where the extra $800 went. Because the PID runs at such an even temp, it doesn't produce such smoke flavor. That's what interested me about the Camp Chef PID, where you can induce variations in temp which create more smoldering/smoke.

What is a PID? You tech guys throw out these acronyms and it's greek to us
In a nutshell so to speak, "Proportional, Integral, Derivative = PID. I don't have one and I've never played with one. I've only read about them. It's my understanding that they are a little more complex and will control fan and speed auger speed and possibly other variables in order to maintain temperature to within 2 degrees of the set point versus the 25 plus or minus swings that the non PID controllers are prone to. I'd have to find it again but I believe there was a couple of write-ups in the automatic temperature control section of these forms. or I was reading about them somewhere else but I'm not exactly sure now.

Someone with experience and a lot more technical know how then I have can probably give you a much better explanation.

Last edited:
Cool. That's help. I am living on a hill with a private road so semi trucks can't deliver but single bed trucks have no problem.
Waiting to hear your impression and how the smoke intensity on food compared to the SF

Lack of smoke flavor. Super Smoke was a bit sooty. Otherwise, the thing runs rock solid steady and has even temps throughout. It's also very well made for a Traeger, like really nice compared to some of their cheaper grills. It puts the EX6 to shame IMO in terms of build quality and heft, but that's where the extra $800 went. Because the PID runs at such an even temp, it doesn't produce such smoke flavor. That's what interested me about the Camp Chef PID, where you can induce variations in temp which create more smoldering/smoke.

I'm halfheartedly starting to look at options and the 1300 looked interesting. Curious as to whether 'Lack of smoke flavor' applied to longer cooks, shorter cooks or both?

Have to take with a grain of salt since the guy in the video sells Traegers, but this brisket process & result looked attractive to me:

Also, would you consider maintenance effort between the SmokeFire and the Timberline to be roughly the same?

I'm halfheartedly starting to look at options and the 1300 looked interesting. Curious as to whether 'Lack of smoke flavor' applied to longer cooks, shorter cooks or both?

Have to take with a grain of salt since the guy in the video sells Traegers, but this brisket process & result looked attractive to me:

Also, would you consider maintenance effort between the SmokeFire and the Timberline to be roughly the same?

Lack of smoke in general. Some sooting issues. Build quality is very nice across the board. Nice heft to it. However, the Smokefire puts it to utter shame in terms of smoke output and flavor. No comparison. I'm worried the Woodwind will be similar, but fingers crossed it's better than the Timberline in that regard.

Maintenance of the Smokefire would be a bit more IMO, though you don't need to vacuum the Smokefire to clean it. You can brush the ash into the grease drain holes and then dump the grease pan. On the Timberline, you'd have to vacuum it out. It's easier to get inside of the cooking chamber with the Smokefire due to the parts being smaller and easier to handle, versus the large drip pan in the Timberline. The Timberline grates are also heavy stainless (very nice grates), but still a bit awkward to handle. The grease/ash mix in the Smokefire would make for a dirtier cleaning experience though, unless you always run drip pans. Much less ash circulating about in the Timberline.

Thanks to cameras, two way audio and technology - I was able to open my garage and have the FedEx guy put the smoker in my garage while I'm at work.

20200226144308-3d224bb2-me.jpg

I won't be getting my RS3 in the garage when I get home though. lol. I don't know if I'll get to assembling this during the next couple of days, but I'll see what I can do. The front shelf is also showing up today via UPS and I already have the OEM cover for it.

Dave:
Good luck with the assembly. Camp Chef's come mostly pre-assembled. Probably the most challenging part is getting the hinges on the pellet lid assembled to the hopper without dropping the screws.... I'm on my 3rd cook on my Camp Chef today. Doing some babybacks using the 3-2-1 method in conjunction with my Thermoworks Smoke.

Dave:
Good luck with the assembly. Camp Chef's come mostly pre-assembled. Probably the most challenging part is getting the hinges on the pellet lid assembled to the hopper without dropping the screws.... I'm on my 3rd cook on my Camp Chef today. Doing some babybacks using the 3-2-1 method in conjunction with my Thermoworks Smoke.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I thought it was funny that when I put the SmokeFire together, the most frustrating thing for me was putting the dang handle on the lid. :)

What model did you get? Sorry if I missed it in another post.

Back