Darn, The Water Hit The Coals

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Any ideas on what to do? I refilled the pan and bam, a little water hit the coals and up comes the ash dust. Keep on trucking? Any suggestions on hot to remove the light ash dust?

Maybe you can baste it off by overdoing your mop-- apple juice or whatever you're using. Then come back with some rub to replace what you washed away.

Good reason to use a brinkman charcoal pan, fits better than the Weber and fill it full of sand. Have not had the problem since I converted.

Darrell, when that happened to me I quickly took the top off so the ashes could escape.After spraying the brisket with apple juice what ash had fallen on the meat was rinsed off. I too am converting to the larger brinkman pan filled with sand.
Dave - When is a gator not a gator? When it's a croc! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Paul, I bought contractors sand (or playground sand) that you can buy at hardware stores.

Dave - When is a gator not a gator? When its a croc! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Matt, when using sand you don't have to refill unlike H2O on extended cooks. The temperature doesn't fluctuate as much and Its also easier to clean up!!

Dave - When is a gator not a gator? When its a croc! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Dennis, I'm still using the Weber pan. It works fine with sand. The only problem with it and sand is that the extra weight seems to magnify the already shakey fit you get with it. One of these days, mine will probably dump a load of sand on my coals. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Then I'll break down and order the Brinkman pan.

Edit- Dang, beat out AGAIN by Randy! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dennis,
You can use the original water pan. I fill it about an inch from the top and cover with foil.
I have been using sand since last fall and it works great. I find that temp control is easier and for clean up you just have to toss the foil and your done. No messy water to have to get rid of. I also get longer burn times. When using the Minion method to start the coals I get 8+ hours out of one Weber chimney full of Kingsford.

rj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back