Dark brown sugar question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Made up my usual rub last night but instead of using light brown sugar as usual I used dark. It tastes much sweeter than normal, which makes sense. I added an extra teaspoon of kosher salt to try and balance the flavor but am still not wild about it.

Was wondering if anyone uses dark brown sugar in their rubs and what are your results.

That's good to know! I've only used light brown sugar and turbinado, and have wondered what the difference would be.

The dark brown sugar has more molasses remaining in it than the light brown sugar - that molasses may be the "wang" that you're not accustomed to. Some things I like it in, some things I don't.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Light or brown sugar on pork or beef is what gives the meat it's bark. Heat browns sugar when used in smoking. More sugar more bark, less sugar less bark.

I"ve only used light brown in my limited experience . I dry it out in the oven at 250 degrees for about 15-20 minutes (per cup, spread out on cooking sheet). Then I put it into a ziplock and beath the stuffing out of it with a rolling pin.

AR

I use which ever the recipe calls for. If it doesn't specify, I use light brown (unless I'm out).

Which reminds me... I was making BRITU this past saturday and dicovered that I was out of brown sugar. Called the guy I was going to drink adult beverages (beer) with while cooking and asked he to stop at the store on the way over. He showed up with this $#%@ &*%$# easy pourbrown sugar that looked like it was part confectioners sugar and little round balls of light brown sugar. At that point I had to use it, we were already running late. It actually worked farely well. I wouldn't use that stuff normally, but in a pinch it worked

i have had the same question in the past and like a richer taste so I noticed three types of C&H brown sugar, Light Brown, Golden Brown, Dark Brown.

I find I like the taste best with the Golden brown.

I use it in a coffee rub for brisket and a sort of West Indies lime/garlic wet rub thing for chicken and in a lemongrass/ginger/tamarind paste for pork tenderloins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back