Danny Gaulden's Secret BBQ Sauce

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Has anyone tried this? How much does the recipe make?

Ingredients:
2 sticks oleo or butter
24 oz. Heinz ketchup
1 small ...about 7 oz. bottle Heinz 57
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 clove garlic -- chopped
1 TBS French's mustard
1/3 cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire
1 tsp. paprika
3 TBS. brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 TBS. chili powder
1/2 tsp. allspice -- (1/2 to 1)
1/4 tsp. red pepper
2 chipotle peppers in adobo minced --

Directions:
Procedure: Melt oleo in large saucepan. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and wilt. Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring often. After done, blend sauce in blender or food processor, if you want to puree the onions, bell peppers, etc., or strain sauce through a mesh strainer to remove vegies, or serve as is. The only problem with blending is that it changes the texture and makes it a bit grainy, but the flavor remains the same. Add water to thin down, if desired. Remember, if you blend the sauce while still hot, you MUST hold down the blender lid, or it will blow off and sauce could burn you. I know it's my sauce, but it's very, very good.

:sneaky: For the information of anyone who might be quite a bit younger than I...
Before we had such great forum sites as TVWBB, we had MAILING LISTS. You'd subscribe and receive a daily listing of all the messages the members were talking about via Email.
Danny Gaulden is also from that time, and a simple Google search for his name should tell you about him. He is a LEGEND in Ol' Timer BBQ circles, and contributed Gigs of How-to's, Recpies, and other info.
If I am not mistaken, the recipe above is from the FAQ of the BBQ Mailing list. Which is a FREE (as in Beer) document, which can be found here.
I'm going to make this sauce Monday (3/8) and will post the results to this thread.

Yeah, Danny Gaulden goes way back. I don't remember this complicated sauce recipe, it was his mustard glaze recipe that I remember being very popular.

Then an updated glaze recipe:

Last edited:
Apologies...that recipe is not in the BBQ FAQ. It's in a .doc file I have.
No, copyright that I know of on this file.
BTW, the Coleslaw w/ garlic is fantastic!

Attachments

• Gauldens recipes.pdf
    182.1 KB · Views: 11
Here is a picture of my 2nd plate tonight.
Smoked a 9lb Butt, and made some of the best Baked Beans EVER!!
The sauce was interesting to make, as well as time consuming. As I was tasting as I made it, I thought, "This might not be very good."
But after simmering and blending, it is just as Danny says, "very, very good". It's thick and tangy with a mild heat that really compliments the pork. It made about 1.5 qts, so I've some to save, and some to share.
I'd make it again.

Here is a picture of my 2nd plate tonight.
Smoked a 9lb Butt, and made some of the best Baked Beans EVER!!
The sauce was interesting to make, as well as time consuming. As I was tasting as I made it, I thought, "This might not be very good."
But after simmering and blending, it is just as Danny says, "very, very good". It's thick and tangy with a mild heat that really compliments the pork. It made about 1.5 qts, so I've some to save, and some to share.
I'd make it again.
Did you do the beans from the PDF?

I did not.

World's Best Baked Beans
How do you make baked beans from scratch?

• Start by frying your bacon in a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Once the bacon is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and set on a plate. Remove most of the bacon grease, but leaving some to fry your onion and green pepper.
  • Fry your onion and green pepper until tender. Combine bacon, green pepper, onion, pork and beans, ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce in a 9×13 inch pan.
How long do you bake beans in the oven?
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cover with foil and bake for one hour until the beans thicken up and a nice crust forms on top.
**I disagree with the above. Smoke the beans @ 250 till they are thick and that crust forms.**

Ingredients
  • 1 pound bacon
  • Several (5) large jalapenos seeded and chopped small
  • 1 onion diced
  • 4 15 ounce cans pork and beans
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1.5 teaspoons Chipotle powder
  • 2 - 3 tablespoons blues hog original BBQ sauce

Back