Dallas area wood question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Mayer

TVWBB Fan
When I had my offset I used Big John's logs. Apparently they are not cutting chunks anymore. Where is everone getting hickory, oak and pecan. Any sources for cherry?
Thanks!

I still get logs for my offset (pecan, hickory and mesquite) at Academy.

Chunks of most species including cherry are available at BBQ Galore. There is a place called Hirsch's Meat Market in Plano that has open containers of most every kind of smoking wood. You can pick out your own chunks, mix and match. Kind of pricey at $1.49 a pound but it doesn't take much, right?

Barbeques Galore has cherry, alder, oak, hickory, mesquite, apple and others in chunk form but it's not too cheap. Lovers Lane a block west of the Tollroad. I'd like to find somewhere that has oak in big inexpensive bags.

If you want pecan you can come to my house and have all you want - have a few trees at my house.

Why not just buy some bundles of wood and cut them yourself? I've been doing that since I found a supplier of decent wood and it's been woring out great. Sure it might be a little work sawing the logs into chunks, but the workout helps out with the calories one will soon consume!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'd love to do just that - how long do the chunks need to dry out after cutitng if at all? Anything else? I have pecan trees at my house with plenty of branches to spare for example.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Flynn:
[qb] I'd love to do just that - how long do the chunks need to dry out after cuttng if at all? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>All of the wood I buy is pre-seasoned. If you're going to cut it down yourself then at least six months for split logs. The smaller you cut the pieces the faster it will dry out.

Except for bbq galore, the only wood I find around Charlotte is hickory and mesquite.
In another discussion on this board, PEACH was mantioned as being a favorite. I drove to a nearby SC orchard to pickup cuttings. I'll let you know soon....
In my gas grill days, I had a free supply of Jim Beam bourbon barrel oak chips. They smelled so good soaking in water, you would want to drink the water and throw out the chips. Oak is an excellent smoking wood. I cannot understand why it is not more available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back