CyberQ Wifi -- Current thoughts?

I did my first cook (an overnight, 15-hour brisket cook) with the CyberQ over the weekend, and I love this thing. Even with the Maverick and with the wsm being pretty good about locking into a temperature for hours at a time, doing an overnight cook with the Maverick always left me tired the next day, because I would usually wake up every hour or two to see if the temperature was holding steady, and I would almost always have to get up once or twice during the night/morning to adjust vents. The CyberQ really does allow you to set it and forget it. It held 275F like a champ. During a 15-hour brisket cook, the only deviations were when fuel ran low and when it was recovering from refueling. I slept great.

It wasn't a completely flawless first run, but the issues were minor. I used the Maverick on the grate also, and again, there was a substantial difference between the temp readings of the Maverick and the CyberQ. I checked the probes this morning in an ice bath and in boiling water, and the CyberQ grate probe was off by around 15F. Luckily, the CyberQ allows you to calibrate your probes, and I have them dialed in now. The CyberQ also lost its network connection a couple of times. It never quit controlling temp; I just couldn't pull up the control and monitoring screen on my phone, laptop, or iPad until I unplugged the CyberQ and plugged it back in. It was quick, easy, and painless, and immediately regained the network connection.

The CyberQ delivered on making it very easy to maintain extremely good temperature control over a long cook, and the brisket turned out great.

congrats and sounds like someone had fun with the new toy,glad its working great and glad your brisket came out great as well..good to hear your set backs were very minor.. was it easy to calibrate the probes on the cyber Q ?ow long did it take to recover after refueling?

Thanks & yes, I'm enjoying the new toy. The calibration instructions weren't the clearest, but it was still pretty easy to calibrate the probes. It probably took around an hour for the CyberQ to recover and gets temps under control after I refueled, but the extended time was my fault. I waited too long to refuel and wasn't particularly careful how I did it. I did the hot squat to remove the top and middle sections and haphazardly poured about 1/4 - 1/3 bag of unlit on top of everything. That lit too much of the new fuel all at once, so the CyberQ had to recover from that. Still, it only got into the low 290's on the overshoot, so I was pleased with how it fixed my mistakes.

I enjoy my CyberQ now that it is setup and running. Yes, the cost does seem steep, but remember you get 3 food probes with it and those run $25 each. I am glad I spent the $$ to make my cooking efforts enjoyable.

I had issues setting it up like many other do. I got help from Guru that got me up and running. I learned alot about IP address, port forwarding and other computer related topics. Actually it helped me in other applications at home and my office. Good info to have.

The Naked Whiz is a site for ceramic cookers. On their site, if you look at temp controller section, they have a very well-written guide to help setup the CyberQ. I feel reading this will help get you in the right direction, and even if you end up needing tec support, you'll have a better idea what is going on.

I was considering a CyberQ WiFi myself until a friend of mine asked me to set his up for him (worked in IT & networks for the past 20+ years). He had been using it perfectly fine in AdHoc mode with his iPhone, but he has now changed over to Android devices and could not get them to work with the CyberQ Wifi. AdHoc worked fine with his laptop during my time trying multiple configurations, etc, but no Android devices (mine or his and even a couple of tablets running older versions) would work in AdHoc mode. The only way that I could get it working with Android was in Infrastructure mode and setting either mine or his phone up as a "Wifi Hotspot" and connecting the tablet up to it that way. Even Guru tech support admitted that Android is not yet supported (even WiFi Direct on Android does not detect the CyberQ WiFi).

I am fully aware that the issue is an Android limitation and not one with the CyberQ WiFi, but it should be made more aware to those thinking about on that do use Android devices. I am glad I didn't buy one now without checking it out first else it would have been a very expensive standard bit of kit!!!!

If you don't mind setting up an infrastructure when using Android, out on a cook, then you should have very little problems, but I don't like taking too much additional kit with me when out & about.

Would it work if you set infrastructure mode up with your home wifi?

That would be the only way it would work with Android via a browser (not had chance to try any apps with my friends one yet). You could also use a MiFi router or a normal router on a comp if you wanted to, but that is more equipment to carry around. Easiest way around the issue at a comp would be to set Android phone to hotspot mode, connect the Cyber-Q to that and then use an Android tablet or another Android phone via the Hotspot device.

I also have the cyberq and am trying to get it squared away. One thing I noticed while messing with it on the kitchen table is that the blower assembly doesn't quite want to slide right in to the draft inducer. Does it screw in or do you just force it in? What am I missing here? I'm sure it's something that I'm not seeing.. Please advise.

The reason why the cyber Q doest work well with android in ad-hoc mode is when an android device connects to a wifi connection it tries to connect to the internet. Because the cyberq is not connected to the internet the android device defaults back to its 3g/4g connection since no internet is found when it connects to the cyberq wifi ad-hoc network. To solve this you can switch your phone into airplane mode so it shuts its 3g/4g connection off and just turn your wifi on, then it will stay connected to the cyberq in ad-hoc mode.

Back