Cyber Q WiFi Help

Bob Riker

I need some help. I purchased the Cyber Q Wifi and I can't make it work using the infrastructure mode. ADHOC mode works great. My Netgear WN2000RPTv2 will show the MAC address of the Cyber Q, but shows unknown IP. I have a static IP set, but it won't show. I have tried to connect directly to my router, a Linksys WRT54GS but never connects. I have contacted BBQ Guru for advice, but they never answer and blow me off. I'm hoping someone on the forum can help.

Bob, I use DHCP mode on my Cyber Q. This mode let's the router assign the IP address. In the router you can reserve a certain IP address to a MAC address. I would first put your Cyber Q into DHCP mode. Then turn it on and see what IP address the router has assigned and wright it down. Then go into your router setup screen and find DHCP Reservation. There should be an add client option, select this. Enter a client name, I used 'Cyber Q Wifi'. Then enter the IP address you just wrote down. The last thing to do is enter the MAC address of your Cyber Q Wifi. Add this to the reserved list and save. Exit out of the setup and try starting Cyber Q. After a slight delay you should be able to find the IP address the same as you entered into the reservation screen. This will always be the same every time you start the Cyber Q up.

This is what I I to do on my new Cisco router but should be very close to your router configuration.

Good Luck
Joe

Last edited:
Joe, thanks for the reply. I have tried with DHCP turned on, but the router and Cuber Q never handshake properly. I'm not sure what the Cyber Q should be set on WPA Auto or WPA Auto Passpharse and so on. What do you have your set on?

Bob, mine is set on 'WPA Auto, phrase'. Also, when starting your Cyber Q it will eventually tell you 'no network' shortly after that the food temp will show and the control buttons will be flashing, you are now connected to your network. Make sure you select the same type of security you have chosen on your router.

Joe

Joe, first let me say I appreciate your help. Trying to get my Cyber Q to connect has been a project. My router is set to WPA - Preshared key. I've tried WPA Auto phrase on my Cyber Q and it won't connect. Also tried WPA phrase, on my Cyber Q and it won't connect. I can't find anything on my router, that says WPA phrase or something compatible. I also tried to connect through my Netgear wireless extender, thinking if I could connect through it I could get somewhere. The extender is set to WPA Pass phrase. Using the extender, when I look at what devices are connected, I see the Cyber Q's MAC address, but no IP. I'm thinking there is no IP there, because the router doesn't recognize the Cyber to assign and IP. Not sure where to go.

Bob, the only thing I can think of is that DHCP is not enabled on your router. I looked on my wrt54g and the default is enabled. What I don't see is DHCP reservation. I'm currently using a newer e2000 router and it has DHCP reservation. Maybe someone else will chime in and help you out.

Joe

Last edited:
DHCP is enabled. I did get ahold of Damian at BBQ Guru and he worked with me to try and make it connect. Every we tried wouldn't work. He advised me to buy a DLink DIR-615 and it should coonect with it. If not, my Cyber Q might be defective. Thanks for all teh suggestions and help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Scott, sorry for the late reply. I did get it to work, but had to buy a new router. I purchased a D-Link model DIR-615 and had to turn of a parameter for it to work. The DIR-615 is the router Damian at BBQ Guru recommended. My only problem is, I can access the web page for the Cyber Q on my smart phone when connected to my wireless, but not on my PC or tablet. I also can't ping the Cyber Q IP from my PC. Not sure why smart phone will display web page, but not PC and tablet?

Scott, sorry for the late reply. I did get it to work, but had to buy a new router. I purchased a D-Link model DIR-615 and had to turn of a parameter for it to work. The DIR-615 is the router Damian at BBQ Guru recommended. My only problem is, I can access the web page for the Cyber Q on my smart phone when connected to my wireless, but not on my PC or tablet. I also can't ping the Cyber Q IP from my PC. Not sure why smart phone will display web page, but not PC and tablet?

Interesting. I haven't tried to set-up infrastructure mode yet...but that may be next weekend's project. I have a Buffalo router running Buffalo's version of DD-WRT.Hopefully it will cooperate.

Thanks for your comments.

If you connect and are able to get the web page on your PC, let me know what you did. I can't seem to find the answer.

Gosh, I'm soooo happy I didn't bother with the WIFI nonsense and stuck with the DX2. Just plug and play with the Maverick as a remote.

The WiFi is a nice feature, and works well in and around the house via the local WiFi network. Where people are having difficulty, apparently, is setting it up so the user can access the CyberQ when outside the house, via the internet. I haven't tried to set-up that function yet, but may do so this weekend.

Interestingly, I have a Maverick, too, and the temps shown by the CyberQ and the Maverick were very different. The Maverick was higher than the CyberQ on one temp, and lower on the other. I'm going to do a boiling water test at some point to see which device is most accurate.

Last edited:
New development. My home PC is a windows vista operating system. With my vista PC, I can ping everything on my wireless network, except the Cyber Q. I also have a PC provided by my employer, which has windows 7 operating system. I cannot only, ping the Cyber Q from my W7 PC, but can connect to the web page. Not sure why vista won't ping or display web page but W7 will. The error I get when trying to ping from vista PC is Destination Host Unreachable. Every heard of this issue before?

New development. My home PC is a windows vista operating system. With my vista PC, I can ping everything on my wireless network, except the Cyber Q. I also have a PC provided by my employer, which has windows 7 operating system. I cannot only, ping the Cyber Q from my W7 PC, but can connect to the web page. Not sure why vista won't ping or display web page but W7 will. The error I get when trying to ping from vista PC is Destination Host Unreachable. Every heard of this issue before?

Nothing Vista does, or doesn't do, surprises me! :-D

I usually clip the DX2 probe right to the Maverick grate mount, so they are both within an inch of each other. While sometimes I will notice the reported temp being a degree or two off a couple of times during a long cook, they are usually right on.

Back