Cutting slabs in half.....

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Howdy...Does anyone have problems cutting slabs in half prior to smoking and using racks? I usually only cook one slab since only me and my son eat bbq. But today I want to try two slabs. I have to give my first command performance next Saturday, sort of a bbq sampler for my neighbors. They are a couple from Croatia and will be cooking their "native" foods for our party next week. I'm going to do a couple slabs of spares and a butt and want to try doing two slabs this weekend first. I would love to do a brisket but I'm not going to have the time (or confidence,lol)....Take it easy.

Bill,

When I cook 2 slabs, I roll them up and pin them with metal skewers. That way I can easily get two slabs on the top rack.

Ray

I cut my slabs in half to cook them and use a rib rack to hold them. The weber rib rack is ok, but the charbroil rack is better, in my opinion.

Cutting a slab is no problem and does not effect the finish time. I usually do the 3 pack of spares from Sams and always cut them in half after I do the triming - St. Louis, I think ? I have both the Weber and the Charbroil racks but now prefer the Charbroil one. They fit nicely with 3 slabs and 2 would be no problem. Still no problem for your trimmings on the top rack as well as the breast bones.

Good luck.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
Still no problem for your trimmings on the top rack as well as the breast bones.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>And if you can keep yourself from munching on the trimmings when they're done and if you're making your own sauce (or using a commercial sauce that needs something), pull the trimmings and simmer them in your sauce for a bit. They'll add a bit of smoke, a bit of rub, and some meat/bone juices/flavoring helping to tie your sauce to the meat better. Have fun.

Kevin... I'd never thought of using the smoked trimmings for the sauce. great idea. I'm guessing you pull the trimmings off about 30 minutes before the ribs are completely done? That gives you time to simmer it in the sauce (infusing the flavor) and still having the sauce done right when the ribs are done?

I ended up getting the Char-Broil rack, since thats all Lowe's had. Along with the spares, I picked up a pack of 4 beef chuck short ribs for about 2 bucks. Threw them on with the ribs, I'll see what happens. Should be a good appitizer, they are about 2 inches square...........Take it easy.

Back