Cutting Brisket in Half?

David Willis

TVWBB Member
Is there any harm in cutting a brisket in half, then cooking it? I have a pretty big one, and I think it will fit on the top grate, but if it didn't make much difference, could I cut it in half and put 1 half on the top and 1 half on the bottom?

THX

David...I wouldn't cut it in half...why?? Wrap the end in foil at the start...it will shrink down quite a bit while it cooks!
icon_smile.gif

Paul Kirk splits his briskets. If you are careful, you can find a diaganal seam that separates the point from the flat. Try to find it and slice along the seam. Paul Kirk hits the seam and splits the brisket in about 2.5 seconds.

I don't split mine, but there are some advantages. The two pieces are different thickneses and weights, so they will cook at different rates. If you cut them, you can cook each piece to the same degree of doneness.

Also, if the brisket is too long for the wsm grate, you can fold over the flat. This will give it a more uniform thickness with the point and it will fit better on the grill. Alas, the inside part won't form a crust. Can't have everything.

Back