Cutco Knives... Worth it??

Anyone have Cutco knives? Like 'em? Hate 'em? I'm talking about the regular edges, not the serated.

I can get their cleaver and large chef knife, and they'll toss in the butcher knife & free shipping. Still, it comes to $250. I don't mind spending that for good knives, but I'd sure like some feedback if y'all have any?

I do not own any but have used them a few times. I'm not a fan. They do not feel right to me. I was always wanting to put the knife down--something I never feel with a knife I like. Many people here like them though. The was mention of them in this thread.

Thanks for your response, Kevin. I see you like the Globals. Can they be sharpened with the Chef's Choice 3 stage sharpener? It makes my old Chicago Cutlery knives scary sharp.

How about Forschner? Can any good knife be sharpened with the Chefs Choice?

Just to throw in my 2cents, I like the Globals I got in a 3 piece set early this year. If you consider them you should try them in person if you can. There is a sharpener made for them, I don't know about the one you mention.

Tom

I certainly think any plain edge could be sharpened well with your chef's choice. Some serrated are a little tricky; however I think your sharpener is supposed to handle them. Doesn't sound you're even considering that type of edge.

I do have a cutco hunting knife with their version of seratted. Never had a deer get away from me yet; of course they're pretty dead when I apply the cutco
icon_smile.gif
. They are a good company and will resharpen when you send the knife back which I do at the end of each season.

Paul

Tom--

No, you can't use the Chef's Choice with Globals. Like many other Japanese brands (and a European or two) Global's edges are unbevelled. Though their edges are plain, as Paul notes, the unbevelled feature means they need a tighter sharpening angle (15-18 degress) than bevelled edges (20-22 degrees). The Chef's Choice angle is pre-set for a bevelled edge. If you look at this link (scroll halfway down the page) you'll see an illustration of what I mean. They make a fairly inexpensive pull-through ceramic wheel water sharpener I use for sharpening. I use a diamond steel for steeling--not Global's--the one I use is a finer grit and much less expensive.

Cutco are ok knives. If you like em they aren't a bad choice. With that said they are over priced for what they are. There steel really isn't a very good cutlery steel but not many of the other name brands are either. For fit finish and balance most all the other name brands are better or just as good. Knives that have pretty good steel for name brands are Mac and Globle. Those 2 would be my first choice in kitchen knives in the same price range as Cutco. Being nice I will not even go into the sales tatics of Cutco.

Tom

If you don't like the hassel of sending knives off to be sharpened and do like the convenience of using your chef's choice, I would stay away from the nonbevelled high dollar knives like Global. For convenience and enjoyment, you'll want a sharp knife. Now if you enjoyed using other type sharpeners, that might be a different thing. I have a Spyderco Triangle sharpener and enjoy using it. However, I would not pay the price for a Global - now a Summit Platinum A4 which I dont need ... that's a different thing.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

I know I have brought it up here before but if your looking for a good set of reasonably priced knives the Sams Club Members Mark knives Item: 954377 are pretty awesome. They are Tramontina Professional knives with the sams name on them. You get about $300 worth of cuttlery for $99 bucks. Just wanted to throw it out there, I have had great success with this set.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
If you don't like the hassel of sending knives off to be sharpened and do like the convenience of using your chef's choice, I would stay away from the nonbevelled high doolar knives like Global. For convenience and enjoyment, you'll want a sharp knife. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not pitching Globals but you do not need to send them off for sharpening. I've never done so. You need to sharpen them at a different angle, that's all. Though you can't use a sharpener pre-set for bevelled kives, you don't have to spend much money--the wheel system I use cost a third of a Spyderco, the diamond steel less than that.

For me, an extremely sharp knife is a requirement, and being able to maintain the edge easily is of equal importance. If I had to replace my chef's knife today it would cost me $115, but I don't--it's still going strong after almost twenty years of hard use; the edge maintains well, sharpening is quick and easy. That's what I want in any knife, regardless of brand. I don't think $115 is much of a price to pay even if I had to. Not for something as important as a good knife.

Just to clear up the sharpning issue. You can use the Chef's Choice to sharpen Globals. In fact it works better on them than alot of kitchen knives because there is no bolster on Blobals to prevent sharpening the whole edge. Now sharpening with the Chef's Choice does not match the Globals factory edge angle, but so what the Chef's Choice doesn't match any brands factory angle. It's really no problem the first time you sharpen with the Chef's Choice you run it through 2 or 3 times no big deal. After the first sharpening your edge bevel is at the Chef's Choice angle and follow up sharpening is quicker.

I also favor thinner edges. However, for alot of people a little thicker edge is better. Edge angles and coarseness is a whole other subject and wildly debatable. I personally don't care for any of the fixed angle sharpeners. My main point was the Chef's Choice will work good on the Globals, and really it works better on them than the more western styles because they are bolsterless.

I agree with all your points, even your lack of enthusiasm for fixed-angled sharpeners, even though I have one.

IMO No. Forschner is all you need to cook like a pro. You can even get deals on used ones from restaurant sharpening services. All I use for sharpening is a Dexter Russell Diamond steel. Used hand up with the tip on a towel on a table.

I LOVE my Cutco knives! They fit my hand right and are very comfortable. I love the whole line and have been adding to my collection since 1992.

Lisa

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Lisa,

Welcome aboard! Nice to see another Buffalonian on here.
icon_smile.gif

(Sorry Tom) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or in your case, Bill, Bullaloon
icon_biggrin.gif
LOL! Couldn't resist...

The wife LOVES the Cutco knives that she bought from our daughter several summers ago. (The daughter learned a LOT that summer selling knives.) On the other hand, I do not like the Cutco knives (mainly hand fit) and prefer the Commercial Sabatiers that I have. (Now we have mine, which travel with me and HERS, which stay in Charlotte with her.)

While I respect the concept of buying/collecting quality products the question was are they are worth it. The intrinsic worth I can not comment on . The ability to cut food to a high professional standard I can comment on and Forschner gets the Job done.

If I was going to spend bucks on a nice knife it would be a MAC Santoku Knife which is what they use at the french laundry or a KAI Shun Classic 7" Santoku Knife with Hollow Grind.

Back