Current Situation This AM

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So later today I am going to the NW Chicago burbs to see my dad (93 and still doing well even passed his driving test with flying colors). Anyway I promised him some smoked giant beef plate/short ribs. Have to start them this AM will let them go to wrapping stage. Wrap in parchment then foil (no aluminum touches my food), the do about an hour cook wrapped on dad's Genesis and finish them on the rack at higher heat to get a little crusty "burnt ends" effect.
Currently they've been rubbed and are sitting comfortably in the Wolf with cherry wood smoke and over some pans to catch excess grease. The smell is driving me nuts I want to eat them NOW!

Attachments

• 20200304_102934.jpg
    20200304_102934.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200304_102949 1.jpg
    20200304_102949 1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 16
Looking good Larry. I did a rack of St Louis Cut pork ribs last night. Not real good results.
I even went to the local butcher shop and bought them....first time I had done that in a long time. But everyone on here seems to think you get better meat at the local meat shops. When I got it, it was spare ribs but I brought it home and trimmed it up to St Louis Cut. The ribs were also very thin. Smallish bones and very clean. No real meat over the ribs at all, just between them. But, I figured, hey, this must be the way they come from the local butchers. Any way, I prepped them and did a 2-2-1 (with aluminum) on them and never could get them to a point where they passed the "bend test" and finally took them off. They were pretty good tasting, but relatively dried out and I had to eat all the trimmings and half the rack to get what I wanted. Usually, on Walmart ribs, I can eat 4-5 ribs and be good and they are always much more tender and juicy.

Anyway, enough of the local butcher and enough of the rant. I am going to do the exact same thing for my Dad this summer. Let me know how your system works.
20200303 Ribs.jpg

Last edited:
They were outstandingly tasty but not as tender as the last time I did them. But dad did truly enjoy them

Back