Current project

Joel Z

TVWBB Member
Building my DD grill. Kind of a frankengrill. Had to replace bottom rails, half of the upper frame, got the front panel from Drew Z.... Thanks Drew! Gonna put a good box in it and a red head. Thanks to all for all the info... Dura wood cleaned up great.. love the dura wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_181604.jpg
    IMG_20200819_181604.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200819_181540.jpg
    IMG_20200819_181540.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200819_181530.jpg
    IMG_20200819_181530.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 39
I bought the z bar stock from mc master Carr.. I debated about painting it black but I think it will look good bare with the stainless hood bolts that you use.

Since it's aluminum, you may want to put some type of insulator under them where they contact the steel frame. Aluminum has a propensity to cause a galvanic corrosion process (yes even on painted surfaces). Maybe you can get some thin rubber stripping under them. It will also cushion the Z bars as well

Since it's aluminum, you may want to put some type of insulator under them where they contact the steel frame. Aluminum has a propensity to cause a galvanic corrosion process (yes even on painted surfaces). Maybe you can get some thin rubber stripping under them. It will also cushion the Z bars as well

Funny you mentioned that, I put my new cookbox on my frame that I painted 2 weeks ago, I'm still waiting on parts so I just had it sitting on top. I came out yesterday and there is corrosion all the way across the frame where there is contact. What can I do to prevent that?

Use a non-dielectric insulator. A thin stainless or brass washer. Another place you see this is when people take the lazy way of installing water heaters. And, don't install dielectric couplings, simply connecting copper to the galvanized nipples on the heater. Soon they grow al kind of green deposits and leak like crazy

Funny you mentioned that, I put my new cookbox on my frame that I painted 2 weeks ago, I'm still waiting on parts so I just had it sitting on top. I came out yesterday and there is corrosion all the way across the frame where there is contact. What can I do to prevent that?
Can you post a picture of what this looks like?

I just used these.. seems sturdy enough. Bought new stock.. originals were too far gone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-090852.png
    Screenshot_20200820-090852.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200720_182903.jpg
    IMG_20200720_182903.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 29
How did you mount new bottom rails...weld them on or something else?

Use a non-dielectric insulator. A thin stainless or brass washer. Another place you see this is when people take the lazy way of installing water heaters. And, don't install dielectric couplings, simply connecting copper to the galvanized nipples on the heater. Soon they grow al kind of green deposits and leak like crazy

Do you think a thin layer of black RTV will work?

So I just realized that this is the location where I made a frame repair with the high heat JB Weld, I’m guessing that is my issue

You might have electrolysis going on there..the first thing I would try is wiping it off and bolting it up with a brass or stainless washer as a dielectric union and see what happens. You must really be in a humid environment!

Back