cryovac pork loins - cure or cook?

Rob R.

TVWBB Member
I've made Canadian bacon a couple of times using a brine/cure mix from a local sausage supply house. It worked well, brining for 7-10 days.

I've got two loins in cryovac in the fridge I pulled from the freezer 8 days ago, and for a whole bunch of reasons I haven't been able to get them in the brine yet. Currently they have quite a bit of liquid in them, that they didn't have before freezing.

Here's my question: Can I still brine them now or should I just cook them tonight? Food safety is my main concern, I don't know if they'll take another 8 days before cooking.

Imo, too late for brining. It might be too late for cooking. Have you opened the package and checked it?

I opened them up, no foul smell whatsoever. I gave them a good rinse.
It's too late to smoke them tonight, so I just put them in a stronger brine, and I speared them all over the place with a skewer. Hopefully I'll only have to brine them for a few days.

I to wanted to try canadian bacon and bought a whole stash of pork loins that had been cryovac. After coming across the recipe for doing the bacon it stated they had been prebrined. So I did the next best thing. Dusted them with BRITU rub and sliced a couple in half, put in pork dressing from the box dry tied back up. Then coated them with shake and bake pork seasoning. then the whole neighborhood ate well. Oh yea never have done the bacon yet LOL

Probably too late on the thread...

The liquid I would imagine is from the pork innards. Since water expands when you freeze it and it freezes into pointy, pokey things, it damaged the meat and leaked out when thawed. This is the prime reason for "quick freezing" things like shrimp.

I brine my BBQ not for water retention but mostly for flavor. I adds something (to me) and so I keep doing it.

Back