Crispy Turkey Skin on the WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, did a turkey yesterday, and being the putz that I am, took no pics...sorry, I'm a newbie...I travel for a living in a Fifth-Wheel, so space is limited, and had to give up the beloved kettle grill to carry around the WSM, haven't regretted it a bit, I'd rather try to grill in the WSM than try to smoke in the kettle.
Anyway, didn't have time to brine or anything, but did a "Peking Duck" trick, and took a hair dryer to the skin for a half-hour or so.
Olive Oiled it,(GOOD quality),Spiced it up, and slapped it on with no water pan, and 2 chimneys of Kingsford (lit).
Lid temp hovered between 325 and 375, took it off when the thermometer said it was done and...
It was Incredible! Skin was perfect and spicy and crispy, Girlfriend just had 2 sandwiches, said it was incredible, and am making stock for soup this minute in the Pressure-Cooker (in my opinion, another invaluable cooking tool!)
Thanks for listening, pics next time, I promise!

Michael,

Congrats! My first turkey tasted great, but the skin was rubbery and nasty!

This year, I plan to dry it out in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Hopefully, this will have the same effect as the Peking Hair Dryer Trick!

Tomorrow, I'm going to see if my local Publix has some turkey wings. I'm going to throw these on with some apple and alder chunks to make a big batch of "smokey" stock and freeze it for the big day in less than two weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back