Creosote & lump charcoal

Shuji Sakai

Howdy all,

I'm still new to the WSM - have maybe a half dozen cooks under my belt so far, with mainly good results.

I've used Royal Oak lump for my last two cooks with improving results. I made brisket for both of these attempts. The first stab at using lump yielded an off-tasting, creosote flavored result using the Minion method with some orange wood that someone gave me. It's possible that the orange wood was still too green and contributed to the off flavor, but I think there's more to it.

For the second attempt with lump, I fell back to my store bought apple wood, and started paying closer attention with my nose. Again using the Minion method, I noticed that the dome temp was struggling to get past 175 F after an hour, and the exhaust smoke smelled more like creosote or unburned charcoal rather than tasty wood smoke.

In order to raise the temp, I opened all the bottom vents 100%. This raised the dome temp to about 225F, and more importantly, got rid of the nasty exhaust smell.

My theory here is that by imcreasing airflow to the lump, I'm decreasing the likelyhood of creosote formation. Does that sound right?

What odd is this: even with the vents fully open, my dome temp stayed around 250. I was expecting a higher temp, as I've heard that lump burns hotter than briquettes. For those using lump, what's been your experience regarding a) any creosote issues and b) holding temperatures?

Creosote is the result of wood not burning completely, I would look at your fire techniques and the wood you use to find the answer.
Jim

Was your exhaust vent, (dome vent) 100% open? If not, I'd be willing to bet that is the cause for the creosote. That will cause the wood to smolder vs. slow burn, as Jim is referring "not burning completely". In order for the wood to burn properly you need to have the dome vent open 100%, for the entire cook.

Larry's question is mine as well because when you say <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I noticed that the dome temp was struggling to get past 175 F after an hour, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm immediately wondering about airflow issues. Restricting the airflow by closing, or even somewhat closing, the dome vent can easily give you combustion issues. But I noticed something else: you said that, after struggling to hit 175 you<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">opened all the bottom vents 100%. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is quite possibly the problem. For future cooks, leave your bottom vents open till you reach ~200 lid, then start closing them off. Some of us close one (facing the wind) entirely and the others to 25-30% open, some of us close two and control temps with just one vent. All of this depends on preference, wind/weather, and how much lit/unlit you started with. You have to figure out what works best for you. Leave the dome vent completely open all the time

Your theory about increasing airflow is correct.

Note too that lump and briquettes can absorb a lot of moisture. If it's excessive, this can affect combustion as well, especially at the beginning of a cook.

Welcome to the board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Larry's question is mine as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The top vent is always open 100%.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For future cooks, leave your bottom vents open till you reach ~200 lid, then start closing them off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is a good remider. I stared with my bottom vents @ 25% from the git-go when using Kingsford, and seemed to get away with it. Can't do that with this lump, apparently. Thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Note too that lump and briquettes can absorb a lot of moisture. If it's excessive, this can affect combustion as well, especially at the beginning of a cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We've had a very rainy winter here in So Cal, so no doubt that's a contributing factor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Welcome to the board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the advise, and

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shuji Sakai:
I stared with my bottom vents @ 25% from the git-go when using Kingsford, and seemed to get away with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Though you might get away with it, I really wouldn't recommend it--your choice, of course. Restricting the airflow can affect your smokewood combustion, even with Kingsford. And as you've discovered, the trade-off of acrid creosote for tasty wood smoke is the price you might pay.

Back