Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Did this a couple of weeks ago and am thinking about it for Mardi Gras

ingredients​

UNITS USMSCALE1x2x3x
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 1 egg
  • 10 Ritz crackers, finely crushed (or any cracker you like; 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs also works
  • 2 celery stalks, leaves and stems separated, both parts chopped
  • 1 medium-sized onion, diced (this doesn’t need to be an exact thing)
  • 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • Lots of freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 poblano pepper, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup banana pepper rings
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup light-bodied beer (cook gets to drink the rest; wine or stock can be subbed)
  • 1 teaspoon chicken or beef stock concentrate
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
For the Grits:
  • 1 cup instant grits
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
  • Milk or half and half, as needed
  • 2 ounces creamy goat cheese (optional but delicious)
Serving suggestion: Louisiana hot sauce

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Adjust the rack to the middle position. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, pork, egg, cracker crumbs, chopped celery leaves, ¼ of the diced onion, 1.5 teaspoons of the Creole seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper to taste, and half of the minced garlic. Gently mix together just until well combined.
  3. Roll into 1.5-inch meatballs, evenly spacing them on your baking sheet. You should get about 16 to 18-ish, depending on exactly how big you make them. Bake until browned and just cooked through, about 25 to 30 minutes. They’ll finish up in the sauce.
  4. Meanwhile, add the butter to a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. When it melts, add the flour and let it gently cook with the butter (you’re making a roux) until it resembles the color of almond butter – about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
  5. While that’s happening, combine the remaining onion, poblano, banana pepper rings, chopped celery, and remaining garlic in a food processor, and process until it’s all a fine pulp.
  6. When your roux is almond butter-colored, add the veggie pulp to the pan, and the remaining Creole seasoning and paprika and cook for about 5 minutes. Deglaze with the beer (or stock, wine, etc.) and let that cook off for 1 minute. Add the stock concentrate and the stock and bring the whole mixture to a gentle boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce to a simmer. Taste it and adjust anything as needed. You can add water if it gets too thick or too salty, for example.
  7. Add the meatballs to the pan and coat in the sauce. Let it all simmer over low heat for at least 5 minutes to reduce, thicken, and concentrate. Serve over the cheesy grits, with hot sauce on the side, if you like.

For the Grits:

1. Prepare the 1 cup (or 4 servings ) of instant grits according to the package instructions, but use the chicken or vegetable stock instead of water (always!). When your grits are done, add ⅔ to 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese and/or a little goat cheese to taste. I also like to ad milk or half and half to add extra creaminess, but sour cream, creme fraiche and ricotta also work beautifully. Season with salt and pepper as needed.

That recipe reminded me of some similar ones. If you like Cajun/Creole style meatballs, the Acadiana Table site (which has many great Louisiana recipes) has a a couple for meatballs.

Cajun Meatballs and Peppers
Meatballs-and-Peppers-6235-horiz-Lores-1024x683.jpg

Meatball Fricassée
mg_9104-1024x682.jpg

I must be on the wrong site. I thought I saw some recipes. LOL

Thanks guys, they all sound great!!!!!!

I’m doubling the meatball recipe for tonight, family will probably not get together for Mardi Gras on Tuesday so, we will celebrate that tonight gotta find the box of beads!

Back