Creative Rib Racks!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
...So there I was, thumbing through Cooks Illustrated but actually thinking about coming in and ordering a couple of Weber rib racks from Amazon.com, when it hit me. (From right there on the page in front of me, actually.)

I have 2 or 3 of these: basic old V-shaped roasting racks that go in my big roasting pans.
rack.jpg

Am I the ONLY ONE who didn't realize that you could do this and make great rib racks, with six
slots?????
rack-flip.jpg

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time (with ribracks that she didn't even know she had...) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri
I noticed that is a black color or dk.grey.
Could that be the roasting rack made of some type of composit material (not metal) that can hold up to high heat? If so, that is a good choice for a rib rack. I used to have one although I never thought of turning it upside down. It cleaned up VERY easily (not like metal racks)......Very interesting.

Hi, James,

There shouldn't be a problem as far as temps - it is created for oven roasting, and I've hot-roasted turkey in mine at 475 before with no problems. The rack is Teflon-coated metal, so I think I'm going to give one a try next time around.

3 sizes here: http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=schfname%7Cion%7Cp1%7Crshop%7Csroasting%5Csrack&sid=WSE09DHMGCBDYWEJCTFRUBCNVIY04MAO200305272236&root=shop&gids=c062

OR a better price:
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=103249

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

The ceramic cooker folks have used these racks for years and use them as rib racks. That was the first place I saw someone doing this a number of years ago.
Jim

That looks like the same rack I use when doing ribs. It works for me!

The only improvment, would be to have some sort of "bottom" to it, so that you can lift up the rack to move/turn it, and have the ribs move with it. I'll have to try connecting a lightweight cooking grid to the bottom of it the next time I use it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The only improvment, would be to have some sort of "bottom" to it, so that you can lift up the rack to move/turn it, and have the ribs move with it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When it is upside down it does have a bottom.

If the racks (of ribs) were cut in half, I could see where Mike would have a problem moving the whole thing. Maybe just tie a couple lengths of kitchen twine ene-to-end on either side of the handles so when you pick up the whole affair, the twine would support the ribs. Less to clean up than attaching more metal-work to it, too.

I actually bought 3 of those at Tuesday Morning and they were labeled Big Green Egg Rib Racks. And yes it would be nice to have more of a bottom on it for when you cut them in half.

Let me clarify - When I use the rib-rack, I usually cut the rack of ribs in half. The half racks do not rest on any part of the rib-rack. They "lean" against the rack's "fins", but they actually sit on the grill.

Simple twine or butcher string would do the trick. I'll try it this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back