Craycort owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Boldt

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey,

I am thinking about pimping out my performer with some cast iron grates, I have a question though, if I get then will I be unable to use my chimney with it? I like to lite my coals with a chimney.

Some people have had bad experiences using a Craycort with a chimney and some think it works fine with one. These are an alternative. They fit the chimney perfectly since the chimney handle fits through the square slot.

I've seen that, it is from the stok grill, my only issue with that is it is porcelin coated, I want pure cast iron if I am going to take that dive. I suppose I would need to take the entire unit out if I want to use the chimney and touch and go system.

I tried a few different setups before settling in on using the char-baskets instead of the chimney. I place the grate at an "x" toward the front of the kettle and remove the right quarter, fill the bins, move them over the ignitor, move them from there after they are lit depending on how I want the fire configured and replace the quarter. I wasn't really a fan of the bins until using them with the Craycorts but I do like the results the more I have used them. I use the Lawn Ranger grid lifter for the quarter grates as well as moving the bins- it's a really handy tool.

The Craycorts are the best add-on/accessory I have bought for the kettle(s).

So you just decided to forego using a chimney with the lighting mechanism? I like to use the chimney, put on the flame for a short period then let the chimney do its thing. Use less gas that way. hmmm things to think about.

Call me inefficient, but I remove the Craycort grates and the frame, set the chimney up, fire up the propane starter. When the coal are ready, I pour them, replace the frame and grates and I'm ready to cook.
The only time it's a pain is on those winter night when it's dark so early.

i have the stok grates and like them a lot

they're labeled as porcelain coated, but i don't think they are

they look, feel, and perform just like cast iron.

i haven't scraped them with a sandblaster or anything, just a wire brush. no problems whatsoever.

and the chimney fits in the center cutout.

Nothing wrong with taking the whole thing off maybe set it on some brick or stone as a whole piece so it doesn't greeze up wherever you want to set it. Either way you will love the grates.
icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back