Crappy Gasser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Willis

TVWBB Member
I bought a fairly cheap Sears gasser a few months ago and immediately knew(after first cook) I should have sprung for a better model.

Anyway, it does OK if you're cook just a few pieces of meat, like two 12oz steaks, cause I've already found the hot and cool spots. But, if you have a grill full, like a 3 -4 lb back of chicken parts, you really have to manage it a lot. The flame also doesn't always stay lit at low temps so I have to keep checking it.

Anyway, my point...I've smoked some big meats on my WSM (brisket, ribs, salmon) but was wondering how it would do with split breasts, thighs, legs, etc. Anyone have any experiences with it?

Thanks

I've done a lot of split breast, some thighs and no legs on the WSM low/slow with water in the pan. I think it does great; however you won't have crisp skin. I discard it anyway. There are some recipes on the site for the thighs on the WSM, not just the kettle. I marinate the pieces overnight in WB Italain and use a commercial seasoning. Watch the internal temp so you don't overcook the breast.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back