Craigslist find Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bode
My eldest brought his onetouch gold for me to keep for him for a year and i just had to clean it up. The one touch mechanism was really something to get out. I called weber and they sad to wiggle the handle. Well that doesn't work. I searched this forum and found two methods to remove the handle(which holds the whole thing together(at least on mine)). One method was to pinch the two ears cumming out of the bowl together and that would release the handle. The other method was to insert a screwdriver under the handle between the two ears and that would release the handle.

Well what no one has said is you have to rotate the handle 180 degrees to release it. I used a combination of both methods to
icon_razz.gif
inch the ears, screwdriver under the handle then turn the handle 180 and it came out easily. then everything just came apart. If you have the older method I don't know how to remove it.

BTW download the manual for you performer from weber and print it. The pictures will help with some of the problems.

good luck

PS I am in austin and If I can help you PM me and I will call and talk you through anything I know about

dang we had quite a wind today and I just looked out and my WSM had blown over!

thanks for everyones help.. I think i am going to try all the methods above... pb blaster, and your two methods.. haha, one has to work...

I also will try out the ignition problem sometime this week... Im going to order my one touch tonite, along with a few other parts.. ill post pics in the morning, since i left my cable for my camera at work... thanks again all!

Mat

What I did to my burner on the performer was 1 remove the clip holding the gas hose in and remove that (don't lose the clip weber does not have them I had to make one) 2 remove the wires from the starter button 3 remove the screw holding the burner in the kettle. 4 remove the starter from the burner 5 clean the inside of the burner with a coat hanger or burner brush 6 clean the outside of the burner to remove the gunk from it. (I use a brass brush on my bench grinder to clean burners it really works great)

then when kettle is clean and dry re assemble all the burner and starter stuff and I'll bet it works.

luck

By the way, it came with the original briquete holders, the steel ones... Just alot of rust on them. So I'm gonna take them to work and sandblast them.

I bought a new set of the aluminum because I didn't think this performer had them, I guess I'll be taking that back and getting a cover

Originally posted by Bode M:
By the way, it came with the original briquete holders, the steel ones... Just alot of rust on them. So I'm gonna take them to work and sandblast them.

I bought a new set of the aluminum because I didn't think this performer had them, I guess I'll be taking that back and getting a cover

The cover needs to be ordered through Weber directly. I would go through the grill and see what needs to be replaced so they only hit you with shipping once. I made that mistake my first time and ordered 3 separate times and it cost me extra money.

I just spray painted the old cage style holders with high heat black paint and they have held up really well. Plus it is easy to touch up later if they start rusting again.

Good luck with everything.

The guy threw in a oregan thermometer
Oregon Scientific makes the "Weber Style" remote thermo for Weber. I own two and am very satisfied with them. Nice perk for you.
In image _470, what is the Black piece with the three tabs on it?

Yeah, I made out like a bandit.. I ordered the new style ash catcher ring, and will have to modify it to fit, no big deal, plus one touch cleaning blades.

This thing will be brand new in no time!

I have no idea what that part is. It was in the charcoal holder.. I was thinking maybe somebody knew what it was.

I am very happy with it.. My first weber- even though it is work.. haha

When I replaced mine it was pretty rusted and stuck. I was able to snap the handle of the cleaning system off at the nut and the blades lifted right out.

bode, yea, just cut it off. its what i did after spending days trying solvents and heat from a torch. it took 15 seconds to cut it off so i had to slap my face while saying "duh!"

ok! good news, ignition works.. I couldnt find a pipecleaner, so i used an old tywrap, and there was a lot of build up in the burner.

New question, i press the ignition, and it light up hard, but usually goes out.. I have tried lowering the gas, but it does the same, does anyone know what i could try now? Should i still get a pipecleaner and try to clean? Any other advice?

Matt
Did you take the burner out to clean it. A pipe cleaner isn't necessary and the real object is to remove stuff from inside the burner. They fill with insect nests and possibly on the burner end get full of grease. You really need to look into the burner from the takk side and be sure it is empty(doesn't have to be shiney or spotless just no obstructions.
Remember the burner lights on the tank side and the fire moves down the tube and ends up burning on the outside of the other end not inside the burner.

The way I light mine is I turn on the gas and wait about 5 or 8 seconds and they push the igniter. It lights with a pop and then burns inside the kettle. If it lights and stays inside the tube it is much louder and this tells me to turn it off and try again to get the flame burning out side not in the tube.

Hope this helps

First cook was a success! Babyback ribs!next question... Where can I find a cover for a 1995 performer? Or what else can I use?

Originally posted by Bode M:
First cook was a success! Babyback ribs!next question... Where can I find a cover for a 1995 performer? Or what else can I use?

You will need to buy the cover from Weber directly.

There may be others out there that fit it but I figured that the performer is worth it. They are pricey though at $50. I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back