CRACKLINS?

chris comer

TVWBB Super Fan
When I was a teenager living in Dayton Ohio, I worked with a older black man named Spence. Alot of the work we did was over on the west side which was a predomently black area of town.
Spence was a good man who, who attempted to teach this youg white hoodlum some life lessons.
He was moderately successful in that regard, encouraging me to join the service and "do something" with my life. I joined the Navy, and spent the next 20 years travelling the world and experiencing thing I never would have if I had stayed in Dayton. One of the things I rember most about Spence was how he exposed me to soul food. Thus I come to the point of this post. Over the years I've craved the salty, crunchy tasted of genuine pork cracklins. Today I was wondering if the skin I remove from a pork picnic prior to smoking could be made into cracklins. Has anyone ever tried this, and know what the process is? What were the results? Hope to hear some recommendations from ya'll.......thanks.....Chris

The skin, cooked correctly, is cracklins. I've written about them here many times. I'll search... .

Aloha Chris and Kevin... I am a Filipino born and raised in Hawaii and I learned to make chiccharon over 50 years ago.
Take pork skin with fat on it, place it in a wok with water and start rendering it. The water will eventually boil off and the skin will fry in the fat it produces. When the skin is deep brown, remove from oil and let the skin cool COMPLETELY. Now you can remove some of the cooked fat or leave it be. Deep fry the cooled skins in 375 degree oil until little blisters form on the skin.

joe

Back