Crab recipes

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
I just had a lobster fishing neighbour drop off 2- 5 gallon pails of crabs. I'm in Nova Scotia. They said they will keep dropping off as many as I want. I guess the the crabs crawl in the traps to get the bait.

Please forward cooking and recipe ideas.

Thanks Brett.
It appears that I can get crabs like this till the end of lobster season which is the end of May. I know I can't utilize that many but I sure want to maximize some.

Last edited:
Thanks Brett.
It appears that I can crabs like this till the end of lobster season which is the end of May. I know I can't utilize that many but I sure want to maximize some.
i've made a few of the crab cakes and crab pasta dishes. heck, steamed crab is the best with clarified butter and garlic. however you like crabs, go for it. we usually start Thanksgiving day with a seafood brunch and then move into traditional foods. sounds like you're in for a good time.

my all time fav is a baked crab cream cheese "dip" with slivered almonds. I'm looking for the recipe.

Served hot, spread on a triscuit or sourdough bagette I could eat it day and night.

Remove mushroom stems from mushrooms and chop the stems finely. Then add at least one stick of melted butter, crab meat, Italian seasoning breadcrumbs, green onion, garlic, and a small amount of mozzarella cheese to the stems and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the amount of all ingredients to taste. Put mixture into the mushrooms and top with a little more mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
A lb of baby bellas yields roughly 24.
8 oz of lump crab usually is enough.
I love mushrooms. Please share the recipe if you can.
Cheers. Ken

Last edited:
Remove mushroom stems from mushrooms and chop the stems finely. Then add at least one stick of melted butter, crab meat, Italian seasoning breadcrumbs, green onion, garlic, and a small amount of mozzarella cheese to the stems and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the amount of all ingredients to taste. Put mixture into the mushrooms and top with a little more mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes until cheese is golden brown
Thanks! Looks fantastic. I will try to make them.

Mom's Baked Crab Dip

8 oz. crab meat
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. chopped onion ( or scallions )
1 tsp. horse radish - dry (use a spoon and squeeze the liquid out until you have 1 tsp. )
1/4 tsp. salt
dash pepper ( white pepper if you have it )
Juice of 1/2 lemon
A package or so of slivered almonds.

Butter the baking dish.

Mix everything except the crab and almonds very well.
Fold in the crab.
Pour mix in baking dish and top with slivered almonds.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or longer until it is bubbling around the edges.

Let sit for 5+ mins so people don't burn the roof of their mouths.

Serve on Triscuit, baguette slices or your favorite cracker.

other notes:

Double the recipe and use a french white 10 inch corning ware quiche dish

This can be made a few days ahead and put in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator or on the counter.
leave the almonds off until its time to go in the oven)

don't tell Joan I put a recipe here ;)

I'll post it in recipes after I've made it, and include a pic.

I just had a lobster fishing neighbour drop off 2- 5 gallon pails of crabs. I'm in Nova Scotia. They said they will keep dropping off as many as I want. I guess the the crabs crawl in the traps to get the bait.

Please forward cooking and recipe ideas.
I cleaned and removed all the meat from 28 crabs. I got 3 lbs of meat. Making a pasta sauce tonight with 8ozs.

Back