Cover or no?

Mike Walton

So I just re-homed my 17 year old Genesis to a campground and bought a new S435.

I never covered my old grill because:

1) It was a PITA to take off and put on because I use it 3-4 times a week year round, rain or snow or shine.

B) I assumed covering it, especially after using it in the rain, would trap moisture and do more harm than good.

I did buy a cover for the old grill now because I won’t be using it as much, plus it’ll be filled with pine needles/animals if I leave it open.

But I’m wondering what the general consensus on grill covers is for someone in the Mid Atlantic area (Philly) who leaves his grill in the elements year round.

I also have a kettle I leave uncovered, but I cover my Blackstone…which always rusts anyway…

I want this to be my last gas grill.

By far, the best solution is to keep it under cover, such as a garage or patio with overhead cover.
I don't like covers for most of the reasons you list above. Pain in the but to put on and remove and they do trap moisture. However, they trap moisture even when it doesn't rain. The grill sits out, get hot all day long and then when it cools at night and the humidity rises, the water in the air condenses on the grill under the cover. Keeping a grill outside in the shade is best as it won't heat up so much during the day and it won't suffer from fading due to UV light. Certainly a cover will negate any UV issues. Just make sure it has good ventilation and make sure it doesn't go all the way to the ground to allow air flow.

By far, the best solution is to keep it under cover, such as a garage or patio with overhead cover.
I don't like covers for most of the reasons you list above. Pain in the but to put on and remove and they do trap moisture. However, they trap moisture even when it doesn't rain. The grill sits out, get hot all day long and then when it cools at night and the humidity rises, the water in the air condenses on the grill under the cover. Keeping a grill outside in the shade is best as it won't heat up so much during the day and it won't suffer from fading due to UV light. Certainly a cover will negate any UV issues. Just make sure it has good ventilation and make sure it doesn't go all the way to the ground to allow air flow.
Thanks, maybe I’ll try to find one that just covers the side table and burner, like a half cover. I’m sure someone makes something to cover a built in that’ll work

I live 5 minutes from Philly. I like to use covers because I don't like bird poop or pollen on my grills. My wife made a small cover to place on top of my SmokeFire when I leave it uncovered on the weekend.

Oh, and welcome to the forums Mike.

Back