Couple of questions bout my red heads :)

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.......the season is starting to pick up and I am going crazy trying to get a few ready for the big sales weekends. I am now working on 2 red heads simultaneously.......sounds impressive right? Anyway....I have never restored a deep box 13 bar Silver or 1000......My first question is....Can a grill that the plastic handle says Silver on it be a 1000? This grill has a deep box...plastic prep tables....and 13 bars. Now the second red head that I am working on is very similar but has fake wood slat prep tables....a plastic handle that says Silver....deep box.....13 bars.....

My most important question about these ole gals is ........one of these gals is a " Leana " what I mean by that is.....the frame bolts must have come loose then never tightened.....then rusted into that position. Please educate me on how to tighten my " Leana " up. I put a socket wrench on the bolt yet I believe the inner tube part was rusted solid and just spun the whole square tube.

Let me see if I can find pics of these gals for ya

Attachments

• 20200831_162542.jpg
    20200831_162542.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210516_151640.jpg
    20210516_151640.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 18
Lena looks like it should definitively be a 1000. I think with everything tightened up on it Lena will be Straighta

Hello all.......the season is starting to pick up and I am going crazy trying to get a few ready for the big sales weekends. I am now working on 2 red heads simultaneously.......sounds impressive right? Anyway....I have never restored a deep box 13 bar Silver or 1000......
The Genesis Silver/Gold grills are all shallow box.
My first question is....Can a grill that the plastic handle says Silver on it be a 1000?
Yes, someone probably swapped the lid or maybe just the handle from a Silver B to a 1000.
This grill has a deep box...plastic prep tables....and 13 bars. Now the second red head that I am working on is very similar but has fake wood slat prep tables....a plastic handle that says Silver....deep box.....13 bars.....
Are you saying both grills pictured above are 13 bar deep box grills? The one on the left has all the characteristics that I can see of a Silver B. Unless someone swapped over a whole lot of parts from a Silver B onto a Genesis 1000 frame and cook box..
My most important question about these ole gals is ........one of these gals is a " Leana " what I mean by that is.....the frame bolts must have come loose then never tightened.....then rusted into that position. Please educate me on how to tighten my " Leana " up. I put a socket wrench on the bolt yet I believe the inner tube part was rusted solid and just spun the whole square tube.
There is an insert in the tubs and those tend to rust out in the older grills. Likely, they are toast and if you want to tighten the frame pieces, you will have to snap off or cut off the bolts and then knock out the inserts and replace them.

Let me see if I can find pics of these gals for ya

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.....interesting info.......I will double check the plastic table grill.......I thought all deep boxers were 13 bar yes no.......? I have a blue one just like the plastic table Silver so I can also check and compare with that one. The Leana is the dirty one in the pics......she is cleana now but I am not excited about hours of work on these frames. One more question for yus' .....can I just drop this old classic deep boxer in a newer frame from a parts grill? Will she fit?

Deep box and 13 bar are two names for the same cook box.
Just FYI, the "Plastic" grill table is technically called "Thermoset". That is weber's name for the material used in making them.
Nope, unless you really want to do a lot of "frame work" you cannot simply drop a deep box into a newer Silver B frame and have it fit and line up.

Roger roger.........I am a simple man......not sure I will remember Thermoset. :)
The grill on the left in my pics that u say may be a Silver B......this confuses me a bit. The handle does say Silver on it.......but the box sure seems deep to me. I rolled on some High Heat last night....she is comin around.

Attachments

• 20210518_210821.jpg
    20210518_210821.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 12
From what I can tell that is a deep box. You will know if it has slots for two rows of flavorizer bars instead of just the one row E/W in a Silver B shallow box. It looks like there has been some part swapping done on that grill.

Edit, on second look, I do see the N/S slots for bars, so it is definitely a deep box or (13 bar box).

If you could just drop in the 13bar boxes into any frame I have a feeling we’d all have deep box platinum frankengrills

Sean, you are right. I am going to explore the possibility of modding up one of my SS Platinum frames to accept a deep box, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like a bigger ordeal than it seems. I have to drag up one of the frames and put a deep box in it and start determining how the manifold, control panel, handles and everything else will line up and determine what will need possible fabrication and modification to make it all work and look nice.

I figured out this old school loose Lena frame scenario tonight. Baically u gotta cut the bolts free with a cutting wheel then insert the thingamabobs and new bolts boom done. Will look for your old posts on thingamabons Bruce. Tube inserts......

Back