Couple of easy questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just got my new bbq and am ready to use right away. I've used a regular Weber for a couple years.

I'm going to do a king salmon and try to start by following the cooking listing at this site. When the author says he puts a full chimmney of briquets, does that mean a Weber chimmney full - which is quite a lot?

Also, I haven't had much luck putting a lid or oven door on the Polder cable. Is that the way most people do it or do they run it through the top vent?

Thanks.

Thanks, I'll try that. This is the first time it will be fired up and I had read that the brand new one will reflect more heat and maybe run hotter.

People say the WSM "runs hotter when new". This is probably true to some extent. But the statement can only be made in comparison to one that has been used for a period of time.
If you cooked a 5lb butt for 8hrs with bottom vents 1/2 open (no thermometer), on the first cook, and did the same on the 10th cook, I'm sure the results would be different.
That's why you have a thermometer and vents for temp control. The temperature will be what you allow it to be. You are the master. However, you will soon learn that the WSM has a few thigs to teach you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In retrospect, I have come to theorize that the "first cooks run hotter" observation has more to do with WSM neophytes' inexperience with vent management. There are three vents down there, so I must use them all and adjust them in concert, no? Only later, after several cooks, does one come to realize that, under certain circumstances, a single downwind vent cracked slightly open is indeed sufficient to maintain cooker temperature (and the promise of the helpful soot layer becomes apparently self-fulfilling).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back