"Country-style" ribs

Country Style "ribs" are common here in Georgia, too. They are almost always available in either bone in or boneless.

My brother, father, and I, have been cooking them for years on the charcoal and gas grills (just got my wsm a month ago!) and they come out pretty nice in a short cook. We usually season them and cook partially, then mop with your favorite sauce while finishing.

Cooked well, they come out tender, moist, and tasty. We usually serve them wet with sauce, so messy and finger licking good. I usually prefer dry rubbed ribs, but for a quick and easy meal, the country style "ribs" will work.

We've been enjoying country style pork ribs for a long time. Seems they're everywhere we look in the West... so you just haven't looked out here
icon_biggrin.gif

I grill 'em, slow cook 'em, the wife slow cooks 'em in the oven... we use them for pulled pork sandwiches, taquitos, burritos & chimichangas, enchiladas, the list goes on & on
icon_smile.gif

The best part is.. since they're from the pork shoulder, you really can't hurt 'em! We ALWAYS have them in the freezer.

By the way, the wife was born in Kansas City and I was born in St. Louis... we met in California
icon_eek.gif
... we both grew up with CSPRs, probably why we fell in love
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by James M:
Country Style "ribs" are common here in Georgia, too. They are almost always available in either bone in or boneless.

My brother, father, and I, have been cooking them for years on the charcoal and gas grills (just got my wsm a month ago!) and they come out pretty nice in a short cook. We usually season them and cook partially, then mop with your favorite sauce while finishing.

Cooked well, they come out tender, moist, and tasty. We usually serve them wet with sauce, so messy and finger licking good. I usually prefer dry rubbed ribs, but for a quick and easy meal, the country style "ribs" will work.
WHAT HE SAID
icon_wink.gif

Country pork ribs are definately different than pulled pork from pork butt or BB/spare ribs. I buy them all the time when I see them on sale for like $.59/lb. If boneless are available for cheap, I'll get those normally. Never tried them on the WSM, but used to just rub or marinate them and grill them on a super hot grill. I just bought some yesterday and it's marinating in the fridge right now. This is how I've been preparing them lately.

My Pork Tacos

Ingredients
- Pork country ribs, cut into small pieces; all bone removed
- Goya Mojo marinade (find it in the Mexican section)
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, chopped
- Serrano peppers, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Limes
- Olive oil
- Chipotle powder
- Cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Corn tortillas
- Cheddar/Jack cheese

Directions
1. Marinate the pork pieces in Goya mojo for 48 hours in the fridge.
2. In a hot cast iron skillet, cook the onions, garlic, and Serrano peppers in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, chipotle powder, and cumin
3. Remove the cooked onions, garlic, and peppers and mix in a bowl with the chopped cilantro. Add lime juice and cover to keep warm.
4. Add more oil to the pan and cook pork; with the marinade. Season with salt, pepper, chipotle powder, and cumin.
5. Mix the cooked pork and all of the liquids from the pan with the onion mixture.
6. Serve on corn tortillas with more lime juice and cheddar/jack cheese.

* I like to heat the tortillas in the same skillet that I used to pick up all the burnt and greasy bits of goodness

I just picked up a few packs of these today to toss on the WSM. The label says "Boneless country style loin ribs". I'm hoping they cook okay because it doesn't say it's from the shoulder or butt. They look a little lean in my opinion. But they were $2.50 a lb when another store wanted over $4.00 a lb!

Originally posted by Chris Mo:
I'm hoping they cook okay because it doesn't say it's from the shoulder or butt. They look a little lean in my opinion.
Chunks of loin meat, not shoulder, that's why they look leaner than what you may be used to seeing. They'll still be good, just don't need to be cooked as long as pieces cut from the shoulder.

Thanks Dave. I measured and each is about 4-5 inches long and about 2 inches wide. Thickness probably a bit over 1/2 inch thick (haven't measured yet). I'm guessing probably two hours might be okay? Cook between 225-250 until meat temps are around 140 degrees and pull them off if I'm not mistaken, correct?

Never did them on the smoker Chris, only on the kettle. Somewhere in the 140-145 range sounds good.

My very first WSM cook these country ribs. They came out GREAT. They are a pretty versatile cut, still that great prky flavor, but not the extended time that a butt takes. My wife still requests "pork sticks" which is what they are off of the WSM, since they firm up real nice.

My friend kept telling me about these but for some reason I kept skipping them for other cuts of meat. On the 4th I went over to my friends were he had some and they were great. I have only tried cooking them over a very hot grill but will have to try low and slow to see which is better. Here in So Cal they sell at a very high price compared to a shoulder. Do you have to cut it a certain way or would I be able to jut cut a shoulder in strips and get the same thing.

"Country-Style" ribs are a product of the meat industry. My father used to buy those all of the time when I was growing up and he would grill them. I think that they would be great if you only want to cook a small amount of meat. But, they are really best when braised. When I have cooked them I ask myself.....why didn't I just go ahead and cook a 4-5 pound shoulder? For a small amount of meat I now go for the "pork steak" which is a thinner cut off of the shoulder on indirect high heat for about 45 min to an hour. I lived in Western Ky for several years and that is the popular style of BBQ there.

Our HEB Grocery store here in Texas almost always has these on SALE!

What I do is Rub them, place them in a deep pan with 1015 Sweet Onions, and then pour bbq sauce all over them and add a little BEER to the suace and cover in foil. Cook them slow over indirect heat for a while until you think they may be ready. Then I'll toss them over direct heat to give them a little crust the last 5-10 min or so and YUM YUM.

Pretty common here in Iowa. I treat them like a butt, only smaller. I've used them in competitions and cooked them to pull. I'll get a couple packages totaling around 5-6 lbs. They cook a lot faster than a 6lb butt so if time is an issue, they work great.

We get country ribs all the time - you can't beat the combination of flavor and price. I have not ever cooked them on the smoker (wonder why I didn't think of it?). I am planning a smorgas-que (chicken, moinks, butt, ribs, wings, etc.) in the near future and I will definitely add these to the mix.

We have been cooking them in the crock pot (or in our CI Dutch in the oven). I generally toss them in with a cut up onion, some cheap red wine, a can or two of Rotel tomatoes, and garlic. Cook on low for about eight hours. We either serve them whole over rice or pull them for sandwiches or tacos. Teriaki and ginger instead of the wine and Rotel works well for these too.

Regards,

John

Been cooking csr most of adult life,over 50 years.I have some marinating now.We have cooked them every way one can think of,but our favorite is grill them like a steak.Just splash on some Dales marinade and let them sit in refrig for a couple hours to overnight.Put them on the grill as you would a steak,but turn them often and don't over cook.I have tricked quite a few people,making them think it was beef steak.lol

Back