Country Style Ribs

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've had my WSM for a few months now and have had alot of fun trying different things. While walking through Sams Club the other day looking for "inspiration" I spied a package of really nice Country Style Ribs and thought ... Why not give it try. I know these are really just thick (an inch and a half or a bit more I'd guess) slices of pork shoulder and need the old "low and slow" to make something magic happen with them. I'm just not sure how long to let them go for. I'll probably use a basic BBQ rub on them overnight smoke them on the WSM and then brush them with some good old Bourbon and Peach laced BBQ sauce at the end. Right now I'm guessing that they'll need a good 6 hours at a rack temp of 225 to get the job done. I'd like to get them fall apart tender or pretty darn close. If any of you Pros have some words of advice or tips for me I'd love to hear them.

One more thing..... have a great weekend !!

I've done country style ribs before. It actually depends. Sometimes there slices of pork shoulder, and sometimes there slices of pork loin.
The last ones I had were more like loin chops so I'm assuming they were slices of pork loin.

If you really want to get them falling apart your gonna have to foil them after a few hours. Even if they are slices of pork shoulder. The mass is not there. So it may not stay moist inside. They may end up similiar to pork loin chops. Though they'll still be good. They'll just be very firm and a bit dry.

I actually got a package the wife picked up tonight. I'm thinking of doing them tommorrow. I had planned on doing rib roast to have some prime rib. But my wife wont let me spend $30 or $40 dollars on a peice of meat. I was disappointed! But what am I gonna do. Now she's set on cooking something we have here at home. So the only thing we have that comes close to BBQ is either chuck roast (which we had last weekend) or the country style ribs. So the country style ribs it is.

I JUST HAD SOME! Just finished my FRIST SMOKE! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I smoked 6.5lbs baby back ribs on the bottom rack and 4lbs country style ribs on the top rack. The country ribs ROCKED!!! I smoked all the meat for 6 hours and the temp was around 220-230 the entire time. I think I almost liked them best because they were VERY meaty and tender with great flavor. I used no rub. GOOD LUCK!!

FOR TOM:

Did you foil them at all?
When I did mine they were not that tender. They were more like pork loin chops. They were very firm and not very moist.

When I cook mine tomorrow I'm going to foil them for a few hours with some some apple juice and maybe some brown sugar a couple hours into the cook. Then I'm planning on keep basting with BBQ sauce till I feel there done.

Nope. I just stuck them on the top rack and let them cook. We got them on sale so we picked them up on a whim and just hoped for the best without basting them. They were falling apart. Had a nice red edge to the meat and white in the center. They were country style pork loin ribs. I did some polish sausage on the top rack along with them. The sausage turned out juicy but the ribs were the star.

Hi Dennis and Tom,

Thanks for the insiders views. The "ribs" are definately form the shoulder. I just checked to make sure. I'm going to do them on Monday when my son comes home from college for the holiday. He's a class A carnivore so I want to make sure I get them right. I think I'll smoke them for 3 hours, foil for 2 and sauce for the last hour. I love experimants like this. If it doesn't work out we'll eat all the evidence and go in for round two on another day. Just to be on the safe side I'm going to smoke a layer of chicken wings (I'm from Buffalo.... it's required) to go along with them. If you guys haven't tried to smoke wings yet you really have to give it a try. Smoke them at 225 for about 4 hours with some cherry wood and serve some spicy BBQ sauce on the side. An awsome alternative to the typical deep-fried wing we're known for in this neck of the woods.

I'll let you know how the ribs turn out !

I'd like to try the wings as well. How many pounds do you use usually? Any special prep work for them?

I read another recipe for smoked wings on this site once before. Sounded really good. I think they were smoked first. Then put directly over the hot coals to crisp up. Then placed in a pan with some simmering BBQ sauce or something and tossed to get coated with the sauce. Then there ready to be served.

I'll have to see if I can find it.

FOR JIM and TOM....

For the 4 of us (2 teenage sons, my wife and I)I usually use about 5lbs. of wings. Sams Club carries them fresh in 5lb. packs so maybe thats what drives me to use that amount. Anyway, I never seem to have too many leftovers. As far as prepping them goes there's really not too much involved. The wings at Sams are who so I do have to separate them at the joints which only takes a few minutes. I don't really "brine" them but once I have them separated I soak them in salt water for about an hour. It's something most of the wing joints here in Buffalo do. Some add a touch of vinegar to the water but I don't. After an hour I take them out of the salted water and dry them off before putting them on the smoker. I usually set the smoker up with one and a half chimneys of Kingsford, a couple of chunks of cherry wood and a just a few inches of water in the pan. Just before putting the wings on I hit the racks with cooking spray to keep them from sticking. The 5lbs. of wings will cover both racks. I simply put the wings in the smoker and shut the bottom vents down (top open) to keep things at about 225 (you'll have to play with it to get there. Don't worry about temperature spikes. The wings seem to take them well. I check them after 2 hours but usually it takes about 3 to get that nice mahogany brown color going color. Sometimes I go almost 4 depending on the weather. The little bit of water in the pan lets you go a long time and still keep things moist. My only little secret is just when you think there done, take the door off the smoker or crank the vents wide open and run the temps up real hot for a few minutes. What that does is put just a touch of crispy in the skin since most folks like them that way. Not as crispy as deep fried but that's not what I shoot for. Just a nice edible skin with moist, fall off the bone meat inside. I serve them with a spicy BBQ sauce on the side. We like KC Masterpiece mixed with a bit of Jack Daniels, some peach preserves, and a shot of tabasco to taste.

Give them a try and let me know if you like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back