Country Style RIbs

For fun I picked up some country style ribs that will be going on the smoker tomorrow.

Questions - How long do they take? What texture am I looking for? Any ideas on how to cook?

Thanks.

Andrew,
It depends on the the ribs. Country style can be cut from the shoulder blade or the loin section. If they were cut from the loin section I like to grill them like a pork chop, 350 deg or so for around 45 min. If they were cut from the shoulder, 250 for around three hours or until they feel tender.
Do they have any bones?

My understanding of country style ribs is that they are cuts off of the pork shoulder (blade or butt part) that include some part of the blade bone. So I would say cook them just as you would a butt, only with a considerably shorter cook time. I have never cooked them, but growing up these are the only ribs my family would cook. I would rub them and then just smoke them at whatever temp you normally do pork butts at, normally 225-250.

Posting at the same time can make for some weird posts.
icon_smile.gif
I second what Dave said, though I had never seen them cut from the loin section.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A.D.Letson:
Posting at the same time can make for some weird posts.
icon_smile.gif
I second what Dave said, though I had never seen them cut from the loin section. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Around here, Daves comments are pretty close. You can get them with a large fat content like Butts, and other times they are really lean and slow cooking them isn't the best option. I love 'em both ways. Family really likes the leaner type on the kettle.

I don't usually smoke or grill country style ribs. Here is what I do (but than again I like sourkraut).

I add some oil to a roaster. Brown the ribs in the roaster. Add a can or two of your favorite beer (I usually use the cheapest beer I can find) cover and braise for about an hour. Then I drain some sourkraut (then again sometimes I don't drain) and add it to the ribs. Maybe add some more beer. Then add a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and cover. Cook until meat is extremely tender and the sourkarut is heat heated.

If you want it sweeter drain & rinse kraut and slice up some apples and cooked with kraut & rinbs for about an hour.

I learned this from my Mother many years ago using back or spare ribs. I'm sure she put other things in with it but this is what I remember and it tastes pretty good to me. Maybe Ken can give some improvements.

Back