Country Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim C

TVWBB Fan
I want to do a real Country Ham for Thanks Giving but not sure how to go about it.
I know that they are already smoked but not enough for me. The ones I've eaten only had a very faint smokey taste.
I cooked at a really good restaurant for four years. Dam near everything was made from scratch. Even the bread.
Once a week a UPS truck would drop off ten 16lb. hams shipped from Virginia.
We cut the socks off and soaked them in cold water for about 12 hours to remove some of the salt and to rehydrate them.
We then simmered them just below the boilimg point for eight hours. Then we cut off the skin and some of the fat.
We scored the fat that was left and baked in an oven at 350 for two hours.
I guess that if I wanted to do this on the WSM, I would soak and simmer the hams as usual and then score the fat and toss them into the WSM.
What temp and for how long ?
What type of rub ?
What kind of wood ? (I'm really fond of hickory)

Thanks
Jim

Jim
We have smoked counry hams a number of times and follow the same process except for the simmering.
We cook them to 150 to 160? internal at pit temps of 225 to 250?. Any rub you like on pork or chicken will work well, you may want a sweet glaze at the end.
If you like hickory that's what I would use.
Jim

Thanks Jim,

Looks like a great Thanks Giving coming up.
Around here, Country Hams cost about 45 bucks
but they go a long way.
I could probably think of 100 different uses for the leftovers. Ham and bean soup being at the top of the list.

Jim

Jim C,

Where in Petaluma can I get a country ham for $ 45 bucks!
Down here in SF you can get a whole country ham for 60-70 bucks. And that's in Chinatown, where they're cheap!
(Believe it or not, the Chinese love cooking with Country Hams!)
Anyway, let me know where you get them.

I'll have to try one on the WSM. My uncle Charlie taught me the standard method of soaking in water for 24-36 hours, then boiling for 2-3. But he boiled his in apple juice with lemon, onions, and bay leaves in it. Then cut off the rind, score, and roast for a couple more hours.

Can't wait to put one in the WSM. I LOVE country ham!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back