Could you spare me some help

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I tried my first cook ever with spare ribs the other night. Proceded as follows:
Started w/ Standard Method

Let meat sit at room temp for 30 min

Smoked for 2 hours @ 220-230

Foiled and put 1/8 cup each of pineapple and apple juice in each half slab and cooked for an hour stabilized @ 220-230

Removed foil and continued to cook for 1 1/2 hours @ 220-230

Glazed and carmelized on Genesis @ 400 for a couple minutes

The smaller spares were really tough but the larger ones were ok. Where did I go wrong? I know the spares that I bought weren't of the greatest quality. Do I pull the smaller half slabs early? Needless to say, I think I'm gonna stick w/ baby backs.

Brandon,

If you were doin spares you did not let them cook long enough. Spares should cook for at least 6 hours, 3 on the smoker, 2 in the foil, then glazed and 1 hour back on the smoker.

Then...check and see if they are done...if not let them go a little longer. I have heard tell of some people cooking spares for 7 to 8 hours.

Good luck and good Q''en to you.

As far as ribs, I do spares almost exclusively. If they were tough, they didn't get cooked long enough. Most often I do spares without foil just because I have the time and it is really less hassle. It generally takes about 7 hrs, but they're done when they're done. Use a toothpick between the bones and see if it goes in easily with little resistance. Also use the tear test. I begin spraying with AJ after 3 hrs and then each hour thereafter. If you want extremly tender ribs, use foil. There's a lot written on the board about schedules 3/2/1; 3/1/1, etc. They need to be wrapped seperately with HD foil for the cooking, but can be held together in foil when you finish.

Good luck and don't give up on spares.

Paul

Bruce and Paul-

I really thought they were overcooked after approx. 5 hours. Spares are definitely a different animal. I figured since they were smaller than BBs, cook time would be decreased. If cook times are around 8 hours, could you be successful w/ the Minion method but just start w/ more fully lit coals? I just can't see myself giving these spares a second shot. They ruined my perfect WSM smoking record! I'm 9-1 now since the beginning of March, when my WSM first joined my team!

Brandon....

You said your spares were SMALLER than your loin backs? Do you mean weight/rack? That doesn't make sense. I realize you can buy spares in various sizes, but that is usually through a restaurant supply store. I have never seen spares that are smaller than backs in a grocery/butcher store.

Even after trimming, spares should be larger/heavier than a rack of back ribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You're scaring me here. I have never seen spares smaller than baby backs. Yes, the Minion Method will work with spares and baby backs just the way it is written.

Brandon

I do my spares using MM and only the usual 20 lit coals. With the longer cook, I think the meatier spares benefit from the temp starting lower and working its way up like a butt or brisket. More rendering of fat etc. Maybe that's why I like doing them without the foil, but it does take longer and you don't end up with that falling off the bone meat (which I don't prefer)

Want you give them just one mo' chance. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

I'm actually refering to thickness and weight. The total weight trimmed was approx. 3lb. and already cut in halves. About the size of BBs I've done but no where near as thick. What are some good things to look for when selecting spares?

Alright Paul, I give in! I'll give em a shot and AJ spritz instead of foiling and use MM. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back